GM 1.4T coolant leak?

We put 140k on the CC 1.4T … had the hot side coolant leak and some other plastic fail under warranty …
At 100k we did the valve cover (PCV) and coolant inlet/outlet … change coolant … plugs etc …
Otherwise - brakes & tires … car was driven hard …
One thing you want to do is dump-measure-fill with Dexron VI at 30k … they are hard on ATF but its really easy to do whilst on the ramps for oil change …
Update: there are aluminum (aftermarket) outlets available - might research those …
I looked at the scheduled maintenance and it doesn't mention atf... just transfer case for my awd...

I can't say any more than what has been said, this engine was designed with coolant leaking out of somewhere at any given time. Think you fixed it? You did, but now it's leaking somewhere else. Fix that? Great, now what's that orange stain on the pan?

The water pump is doable if you have the time. Watch the you-tube videos for whatever car you have it in and decide for yourself. While you are there do all the related parts too. When you're done, congratulate yourself, then start figuring out where the coolant on the floor is coming from. It's from somewhere else.
Lol

IIRC - that plastic valve cover with PCV is a 100k item - and easy to do the plugs right then …
Yeah. I showed my teenage son how to do the plugs like 20 k ago. He was surprised at how easy they were. I'll do them again when I replace the cover.

Probably with fakes on the rise - we got ACD (hopefully) pretty cheap …
I know bad news racing or maybe another tuner company makes their own. Might pair those with my k and n filter 🤣 this is the first non fast car I've ever owned at 40 years old!

My 2011 has 250,000 miles on it. Replaced everything coolant related. I have found that keeping coolant tank very low on coolant results in less leak problems. I also changed the thermostat to the one from a Chevy Volt. It runs a little cooler. I have had to replace the intake manifold once and the valve cover four times. Water pump once. Rebuilt the oil cooler once. Been a good car and easy to work on. Averages 38 mpg.

I've had two of these over the years that I do the maintenance on and some of the issues are recall parts for the 2012 at least. I had a 2015 w/o any issues. Lots of room to work under the hood on these.

Guys, Interesting Factoid....regarding this engine and the 1.8 big brother. GMs gross mfg. costs for this engine are just under $200.00 per unit. Now you can see why by comparison given the battery costs why GM is trying like heck to get the cost per KWhr down on the Ultium batteries.

I've had two of these over the years that I do the maintenance on and some of the issues are recall parts for the 2012 at least. I had a 2015 w/o any issues. Lots of room to work under the hood on these.
Silverado, that is good looking pooch you have in your Avatar. It is hard to beat a good German Shepherd.

Silverado, that is good looking pooch you have in your Avatar. It is hard to beat a good German Shepherd.
My favorite breed. I adopted a puppy about a year ago and he's a little wild LOL. That's what I like, though. The previous owner couldn't handle him because he's high strung, but once I exercise him he calms right down.

My 2011 has 250,000 miles on it. Replaced everything coolant related. I have found that keeping coolant tank very low on coolant results in less leak problems. I also changed the thermostat to the one from a Chevy Volt. It runs a little cooler. I have had to replace the intake manifold once and the valve cover four times. Water pump once. Rebuilt the oil cooler once. Been a good car and easy to work on. Averages 38 mpg.
I agree with you that keeping the coolant at the low end of the tank would slow down the coolant loss. That was one of the tips I learned in the 200+ pages about coolant loss/odor on Cruzetalk.com. I will say that the Cruze was a nice riding car and very comfortable for it's class. It's a shame that GM pulled the plug on it after working out the bugs. I'm impressed that some of you guys got well over 200K on yours.

PS: Changing the A/T Dexron VI was pretty simple....I drained it cold and measured what came out and replaced it and didn't have a problem. I only got 38mpg once on a long trip....when the turbo kicked in the MPGs went down....I probably was lucky to get about 30mpg on average.

Last edited:
I agree with you that keeping the coolant at the low end of the tank would slow down the coolant loss. That was one of the tips I learned in the 200+ pages about coolant loss/odor on Cruzetalk.com. I will say that the Cruze was a nice riding car and very comfortable for it's class. It's a shame that GM pulled the plug on it after working out the bugs. I'm impressed that some of you guys got well over 200K on yours.

PS: Changing the A/T Dexron VI was pretty simple....I drained it cold and measured what came out and replaced it and didn't have a problem. I only got 38mpg once on a long trip....when the turbo kicked in the MPGs went down....I probably was lucky to get about 30mpg on average.
I totally concur. My sister has a 2012 cruze with 145 on it. The ride is excellent. It rides with the muted motions of a larger car. Ive had to replace **** near everything coolant related. Also replaced TCM in transmission

Back