Gloat - just bought 10 gal of Rotella 15w40 CH4/SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of solid lifter cam gas engines and I like to run the older spec diesel oil in them when the pass car oil additives started to have less ZDDP. My Triumph engine suffered a couple of wiped cam lobes back in '06/07 while still using pass car oil. I was caught a bit off guard when the CJ spec oils came out (I did not stock up in advance). I ended up buying a number of gallons of 15w40 CI4 at Tractor Supply before they joined every one else in selling the new spec.

About 18 months ago I was browsing the automotive isles in a K-Mart when I spotted (3) dusty old style Rotella jugs with the handle on top. I bought them up and then visited other K-Marts in my area looking for more old stock - no such luck. For some reason I forgot to visit a K-mart that was only about 3 miles from my house. I changed jobs this summer and now frequently pass by this store in my commute home. I went into the store and found 4 very dusty jugs of Rotella in the CH4/SJ formulation. I bought 2 gallons at $18 each, figuring that the store would put the remaining 2 gallons on closeout - when I went back in a couple of weeks later 12 more very dusty gallons were now on the shelf. Most of these jugs had up to 5 or 6 different price tags on them. I found 2 jugs with $12 or so marked price stickers so I bought these. I have been stopping by the store once every 2 to 3 weeks this Summer / Fall visiting "my" oil hoping for a close out sale. This week K-mart had Rotella on sale for $13/gal so I bought the remaining 10 jugs. One of the jugs had some promotinal sticker on it announcing some new product that was **going to be*** introduced in the summer of 2001! Since I only tend to use about 3 gal of oil on my older cars in a season , I should be set for a few years.

Great score! Kmart had all Gallon Jugs of oil on clearance and for some reason Castrol Tection and Castrol GTX, 15w-40 were in with the others....I found 5....1 Gallon Jugs of the Castrol Tection in the old White Jugs with the SL formulation and a total of 12 quarts of the Castrol GTX, 15w-40, SL formulation on clearance. The Castrol GTX went for $.99 a quart and the old White Bottle Tection for $8 a gallon. The SM Tection in the Green Jug, similar to the High Mileage Castrol, closed out at $9 a gallon.

So, you can still find some of these older oils at great price...but you have to search and "be lucky".

Nice find! I always look at the older oils when I spot them, hoping to find a diamond in the rough. I liked the oil Mobil1 Tri-Syn, and of course the fabled "Green GC" both of which are becoming extremely rare.

There's a couple other worthwhile oils I occasionally spot such as Pre-Deposit Shield Havoline.

I like the CI-4 plus oils better because they tolerate the soot loading more than the CH-4. CH-4 was before we had these egr diesels. Before then there was very little egr flow in diesels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back