glimpse of the Cajun culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to show everyone a few pics of where I'm from. This is Bayou Lafourche aka "Da Bayou". Flows 50 feet in front the house. When someone asks me or anyone else from this area where we are from, we simply reply with "the bayou" or "down the bayou". 25 minute drive from here and youre at the gulf. Life passes slow here, everyone literally knows everyone and most people like my dad and grandparents grew up speaking Cajun French before they spoke English. Speaking French was a definite way to get hit with a paddle in school. The teachers discouraged it. My generation and most people my age (I'm 27) use alot of French mixed in with English. Its an hour and a half from New Orleans but when youre here its like the middle of nowhere. Ed Orgeron, coach of the LSU Tigers and Bobby Hebert, "The Cajun Cannon", grew up here and went to high school with my mom. I am distantly related to both of them. Just some neat little facts I figured some might like to read. If you have questions feel free to ask.

bayou bayou.jpg

The town where I was born and raised, and still live in today. Known all over the country as an infamous speed trap.....Golden Meadow, Louisiana....30 mph speed limit...did I say life passes slow here hahaha

bayou GM.jpg

Just doing like my ancestors before me and living off the land......a few fish heads for bait.....let it sit overnght....walk 50 feet in front the house and lunch is served...after boiling of course

bayou crabs.jpg

I miss the crawfish and boudin.

I can get Popeye's chicken here but I have to drive all the way to brockton.

I remember dreading the 20 mile section of i10 that ran across the swamp before getting into baton rouge. It was fogged in a lot on my way in to LSU.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of Cajun cookbooks (proper ones, not the popular ones).

That's one area that I would LOVE to visit and stay a few weeks.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Just doing like my ancestors before me and living off the land......a few fish heads for bait.....let it sit overnght....walk 50 feet in front the house and lunch is served...after boiling of course

You don't boil blue crabs, you steam them with Old Bay. We know how to do it properly in Maryland.

Need to find a way to keep that Cajun French language alive. I teach my kid the few phrases and words my dad taught me but like you said the schools and society beat it out of them so there aren't many people to talk and learn from. Funny thing is the the men on my dads generation would talk to each other in french but refused to teach the women. None of my Aunts know french.

great pics. Know all about Da bayou, Lafette, Delacroix, Lake Bourne and Ponchatrain. I grew up on the northshore off the Techfuncte river.

The old joke about how that river got its name as then it was a man made river. When they finally connected it to Lake Ponchatrain, they didn't know what the name it. One guy was so hot he said "this is what I'm calling it" and took off in a run and jumped in. The sound he made when he hit the water was "Cha - Funk- ta"
smile.gif

Mobil,

Just curious and not meaning to be rude in any way. How polite and welcoming are small Cajun towns like yours? I've never been there and would love to visit the Bayou before I meet my Maker. I only ask because most of my long distance exposure to your area has been via Hollywood movies and they usually seem to make it an unwelcoming place for visitors/strangers. Yeah, I know it's Hollywood. And, I love the "slow life". It's why my wife and I chose to live where we are now. Blessings to you and yours.

In general south louisiana is a very welcoming place. If tom walk up with a smile you will usually get one back. There are a-holes in aany crowd but in general southern folks a are nice.

If you are respectful you will get respect back.

Originally Posted by turtlevette

I remember dreading the 20 mile section of i10 that ran across the swamp before getting into baton rouge. It was fogged in a lot on my way in to LSU.

This just opened in Calgary. On opening day the line-up went around the block. Can hardly wait to get there. I know it's not like the real stuff but we'll take what we can get.
laugh.gif

1D1BA53D-3AF3-481E-AC63-87AC81DAFA26.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by turtlevette

This just opened in Calgary. On opening day the line-up went around the block. Can hardly wait to get there. I know it's not like the real stuff but we'll take what we can get.
laugh.gif

Get the red beans and rice.

rubberchicken, we know how to do it properly in South Louisiana also. Boiling is what we prefer. As we like to say, if it runs, swims, or flies, and tastes good, were eating it.

Sierra048, the area where I'm from is very welcoming. We love to make new friends from out of town, and we then consider them a friend for life. If you want to experience true southern hospitality, this is the place. We love showing people our culture and way of life. Hollywood has not a clue about our lifestyle or the way we live. I will PM you. You are welcome anytime....Let me know if you do decide to come to the area.

Snagglefoot...Thanks! I try my best to keep it alive

danez_yoda....you couldnt have said it better!

Sierra048, the area where I'm from is very welcoming. We love to make new friends from out of town, and we then consider them a friend for life. If you want to experience true southern hospitality, this is the place. We love showing people our culture and way of life. Hollywood has not a clue about our lifestyle or the way we live. I will PM you. You are welcome anytime....Let me know if you do decide to come to the area.

Snagglefoot...Thanks! I try my best to keep it alive

danez_yoda....you couldnt have said it better!

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
rubberchicken, we know how to do it properly in South Louisiana also. Boiling is what we prefer. As we like to say, if it runs, swims, or flies, and tastes good, were eating it.

Mobilaltima - I think we need to do a seafood intervention on you; you clearly need help. PM me your address and I will send you an emergency supply of Old Bay and JO's Seasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back