GL5 front & Rear differential gear oil question

rav

I posted a question a while back concerning the new BMW front & rear differential fluids weights.
Front Differential with a G2 fluid, which is a GL5 75W85 @ $59.49/ .5 liter
Rear Differential with a G3 fluid, which is a GL5 70W80 @ $80.49/ .5 liter
Both take a little over .5 liter, so I would need to buy 2x .5 liters of each, which is $280 just in gear oil. It's even higher if you purchase from a Dealer.

While doing some research on the internet I ran across (2) OEM MOPAR GL5 gear oils that have the same weight as the above BMW specified oils on CARid,com These are the OEM MOPAR brand (The old Chrysler Corp) for new Chrysler vehicals.
One is "Mopar® - SAE 70W-80 Synthetic API GL-5 Differential Fluid" @ $13.03/qt.
https://www.carid.com/mopar/sae-70w...fluid-mpn-68227765ab.html?singleid=2763468024

1645480832242.png

The other is: "Mopar® 68210057AB - SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Differential Fluid" @ $11.77/qt
more details on - https://www.carid.com/mopar/sae-75w-85-synthetic-differential-fluid-additive-mpn-68210057ab.html
1645481689720.jpg

Now this is a significant price difference. Can anyone think of any reasons NOT to use these fluids in place of the BMW brands?
I'd love to hear your input & comments.

If this Mopar oil meets the BMW specs, why not use it?
That beats paying over $250 for a BMW logo on the label of the bottle.
I'm surprised the differentials take such a low volume of oil.

Does BMW have any requirements other than GL5 fluids of the proper viscosity? If not, use the Mopar stuff.

Does BMW have any requirements other than GL5 fluids of the proper viscosity? If not, use the Mopar stuff.
The only spec that I can see is:
1. GL5 Hypoid oil
2. The oil weight' i.e. 70W80 & 75W85 both which are lower weight (viscosity) than the normal 75W90 GL5 that just about all mfg specify & most suppliers make. I believe BMW went to the lower viscosities is for EPA gas miles.

I can only assume no. However, that's what BMW specifies now.

I just went through this exercise for diff & transfer case fluids for my AWD Challenger. The factory specs 75w85 for the rear diff, 75w90 for the front diff and Borg Warner 44-40 fluid for the transfer case. Almost all suppliers offer “fits all vehicles” fluid, but I ended up with Redline for the diffs and Mopar factory fluid for the transfer case. Found it all at Summit Racing.
As others have posted, check Redline, Amsoil, Ravenol, Motul, etc., for fluids that meets BMW specs. If the Mopar fluid qualifies and the price is right, get it.

Big Money Waster/Worries
Bring My Wallet

Unless the diff's have some unobtanium components, I would just use whatever full synth GL-5 that you find locally.

So, research your diff. If its open, BMW can keep their pathetic eternal fills with overpriced fluids that don't save anything mechanically.

Maintain it well enough.

I am going thru the same thing for my 2015 X5 35i, did you ever run with a cheaper alternative that is the same weight and GL-5 like OEM? I also found a cheaper Honda alternative that seem to be the same spec but says that it is specifically formulated for Honda.

1708466336136.jpg

Back