Getting the Tucson to 150k my plan.

OP, we got 240k+ miles out of our 2.0T Santa Fe. It received an OC every 3k, and 188k miles from a 2.4 Sonata.

This era of H/K (2011-2018) are either very reliable if cared for... or not. I've also heard of a few very well maintained ones giving up the ghost.

Stay on plan and I wish you many more years of reliable motoring.

For a $14,000 used car this thing drives like a top, and I'm making sure that every single oil change is reported to carfax to keep up with the hyundai engine extended warranty.
None of the other stuff really matters. Skip the wallet flushes and the additives. Just make sure the oil is changed every 6 mo/3750 on the dot by a "shop" and if the engine explodes, you'll get another one.

The Critic has it.

That thing will self-grenade without warning no matter what you do, as you stated just be sure the oil changes are well documented. If you are self reporting to Carfax that won't work, they will show for you but if anyone else pulls the Carfax your self maintenance will not be there.

Induction service won't help anything. What will is exclusively using the oils that now pass the more rigorous standards needed for GDI engines. You should use Hyundai filters as well which can easily be bought in bulk online.

Your battery should have lasted a lot longer than 30k miles. Once you start hearing it sound a bit tired on start-up, that is when you should have it tested or replaced. I would recommend a quality set of jumper cables in the hatch.

Regular exterior upkeep and keeping junk out of the car is also a solid decision for long-term ownership. Avoid the car washes unless you can live with swirlies on the paint.

Finally, once every few fill-ups open the hood and check your fluid levels. You won't smell the early leaks. But you can catch them pretty quick by checking the levels on top and taking a few glances underneath when you change your oil.
ZERO need to use the Swiss Cheese OEM filter in the USA, if you use a brand name filter with the the correct filter # for the car. I barked back at Hyundai's bark, they said they could not cover my motor because of having " high filtering filter" on, a Fram Ultra when my motor tanked at 14,000 mile. All I needed to say is "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states I have the legal right to use any filter I want as long as it was designed for my specific motor." After those words were said 500 milliseconds after he said it was not covered, I recieved ZERO bark from Hyundai and I received a new long block.

The Critic has it.

That thing will self-grenade without warning no matter what you do, as you stated just be sure the oil changes are well documented. If you are self reporting to Carfax that won't work, they will show for you but if anyone else pulls the Carfax your self maintenance will not be there.

+1

I'd have gotten rid of that thing last year when people were buying anything that rolled for max dollar.

Back