getting rid of my k&n air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
EaA beautifully made filter by the way. Made the K&N look like a 'back yard' job

thats exactly how i felt when i got my eaa in the mail last week.. the k&n looked like a $2 filter compare to it..

Originally Posted By: eddiedz
yo, where you get the stickers from.. i didnt get anything like that with my amsoil EAA
frown.gif

The injen decal came with the cold air intake, the other Eaa decal you have to purchase, does not come with a filter. Bug your dealer for one of them.

"Protected by Ea Filters" Under the Hood Decals Product Code: G2500-EA $0.45 ea, 10 for $4.00

Someone gave me a K&N once for my WRX...I threw it away.

I used one for a few years on my old Subaru, a 94 Legacy. One day just for grins I stuck a Subaru paper filter in place of the K&N...and felt absolutely no change at all. At that point I tossed the K&N and have been using paper filters ever since. I don't see the point in using an inferior filtration media just for the sake of nominal but inperceptible improvements to power and economy.

Originally Posted By: OAS
Also , has anyone done any flow testing on the EAA filters?

I do a bit of high altitude trail running (over 12,000 feet elevation) and airflow IS a big concern.
At those altitudes oxygen is a bit on the thin side and you need all you can get.

No links or info on cfm / flow rates?

EaA beautifully made filter by the way. Made the K&N look like a 'back yard' job

thats exactly how i felt when i got my eaa in the mail last week.. the k&n looked like a $2 filter compare to it..

Not mine.
Got my Amsoil Eaa88, and i wasnt too impressed.
Looks arent everything, but compared to the K&N the plastisol was "gloppy" and not very well formed.
The K&N (which happens to be almost 15 years old by the way) plastisol is well formed and still crisp.
Even at the bottom of the pleats where it forms a "box" structure to help shore up the pleats.
The Amsoil is nice for sure, but i did expect more in a filter costing over $34.00.
In fact i took pics of my "spare" filter, a Casite costing only $3 and change.
I would use it when the K&N was being washed and reoiled.

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF1515.jpg

DSCF1516.jpg

Keep in mind also the K&N has over 6 months wo being cleaned.
As far as dirt getting through, here is a pic of the inside of the bronco's airbox after removing the K&N.

DSCF1510.jpg

No traces of dirt.
And no stains or evidence of blow-by on the clean side.
I will still use the Eaa of course, but the K&N is decidedly NOT going into the trash can.

Last edited:
I have a TRD Cotton Gauze air filter in my Toyota 4Runner and its been getting good UOA's. I was using a K&N befor that also with good results..I see no reason for getting rid of any K&N air filter.

Amsol EaE cone filter I should have said not a panel. Different animal.

You mean as far as comparing quality?

Shouldnt matter. $34 is $34.
Panel or cone, either should be top quality at that price.
Gloppy plastic is gloppy plastic.

That said, i took the Bronco over a few high elevation Colorado passes last week.
I didnt notice much (if any) power drop.
But that was comparing a quite dirty K&N with a brand new Amsoil.
Would be interesting to see a comparison on a chassis dyno.

Still havent found anything on compared cfm/ flow rates.

I'm sort of new to all of this, so easy on me... but isn't the best bet to just use a regular paper air filter? I mean cost to filtration ratio.

I pulled out the K&N from my dad's van about 2 months ago to clean. It was in there for about 45k miles. From what I saw there was no dust on the half of the airbox after the filter. This probably doesn't support whether an airfilter is good or bad, but I don't think it's destroying the engine.

I feel it was a huge waste of money.. but a lesson learned.. this [censored] thing cost me $50 (Canadian tire) and i only purchased it early august, but after reading and hearing SOO MUCH negative stuff about their filters and how much dirt they let into the engine, i must agree. i removed the air filter and the thing still looked 101% brand new, as i held it up to the sun, this [censored] filter is hardly a filter, it was very visible when i held it up to the sun. I am so mad at myself for thinking k&n was good.. and no i felt no HP increase, no more MPG and no acceleration increase.. then again i just got a dodge caravan not a super turbo charger... never again..... never again.... and to think i purchased a k&n oil filter as well for my previous oil change.. i feel like ditching it all.. including the oil filter and buying a motorcraft FL-1A (extremely high recommendations on this).. ggrrrr! so mad at myself.. im going to see if K&N will refund me my money, i still have the proof of purchase but i wish i havent thrown away the box, i probably could have taken it back to canadian tire... [censored]!

im going to order a Amsoil EAA170 for my dodge caravan.. is this superior to any other air filter like i have been reading/hearing?
I got rid of my K&N and will never buy a new one. Pain in the butt to clean.

Originally Posted By: Chimay
I have a TRD Cotton Gauze air filter in my Toyota 4Runner and its been getting good UOA's. I was using a K&N befor that also with good results..I see no reason for getting rid of any K&N air filter.

TRD is made by AFE...I had the same filter. Im using AFE Pro Dry now.

I see no reason to change back to a paper filter. I think my TRD will give me more miles than I wish to own my SUV..at a much cheaper price in the long run. My UOA's have been good.

I've used K&N's for years. Still got one on my 94 Corvette and 06 Denali. But after reading the negatives here about K&N and in so many different posts/topics, I am thinking maybe I should just go back to paper filters. Not that I've ever had any issues and all my UOA's never indicated high dirt levels, but I still feel a bit uneasy here lately. The worst part, my Dad gave me a new K&N filter for Christmas for my new 08 Cadillac CTS. I actually said to myself "no way I'm putting this thing in that car". That's when I realized maybe I;m over the KN hype...

I don't mind cleaning the airfilter at all. I find it somewhat rewarding or self satisfying and its cleaner and easier than changing my oil.

I used to be over obsessed when it came to cleaning my TRD and Amsoil foam filters...now that i have the Pro Dry im leaving it in.

My K&N works great in my 96 grand marq. 204,000k. Last UOA showed very good silicon. Do a UOA before changing.

After reading about Fram Filters, and researching K&N Filters; I decided to purchase a Purolator Filter for my Nissan, and put it into service as of 1.7.2009. (Made in Mexico) It replaced a Fram Filter(Made in Korea). I was getting around 27 mpg at 80 mph using Castrol Synthetic Blend 5W-30, but it went down to around 21 mpg. Then I changed the oil to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30, my mpg increased to 25 mpg at 80 mph, now, I hope that it will increase back to 27 or more mpg with the new air filter. Wanted the audience to know that the EPA uses 80 mph in it's testing, according to a report I have as of July, 2006 for miles per gallon. Seems like the government is admitting that drivers go faster than what the highway speed limits allow. That is another subject, I do not wish to express an opinion, because government, whether city, local, county, or state uses speed limits to "GET MORE MONEY." It is not for "safety" as they try to lead you to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back