Getting rid of Box Elder bugs

Looks like a black and red beetle started accumulating last fall along the south side of my house. I didn’t think too much about them at the time because I knew the cold would get them. Turns out a bunch wintered in the cracks of my fake brick trim along the south foundation wall.

I had to look them up. Apparently they are Box Elder bugs. Anyone have them? They apparently are attracted to trees with “helicopter” seeds such as Ash and Maple trees. My neighbors Ash tree is 20 ft away. Apparently, soapy water kills them. Boy does it ever. I mixed up two gallons of water and several large squirts of Dawn detergent, you know, the type they wash ducks with? Well, it may be good for ducks but it’s heck on Box Elder beetles. I put the water in my weed sprayer and sprayed them down. Here are some shots. The bugs on the brick facade and wood trim post are dead. Killed them real good with dish soap. Enjoy.

212E8190-17BB-460A-9F72-6B25939FE6C8.pngD65E405F-B049-4FFE-9D9E-79CAE34C7206.png1391EAF5-B292-47CC-83AA-E4D665AA0D08.jpegEB1BBC9E-322A-4C37-BC39-E4F0D5C06A33.jpegD69E7A4C-93AD-4E1D-9069-CA93A09F5818.jpeg21646F04-6523-41AF-862F-4DE1B9727ACA.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s with the helicopters in the picture? And why do you want to kill them? Lol I always leave them they don’t invade my house luckily.

Oh yeah, they are trying to get into the house. :) Those helicopter things are the seeds of the tree. Apparently the bug likes to eat the seeds developing in the spring.

View attachment 49454
I had them at one of the other houses I owned - huge wall facing southwest that would attract them in the fall, then they'd work their way in under the window. Sad part is that they work their way inside for warmth, but there's nothing inside for them to eat so they die once they're inside.

I had them at one of the other houses I owned - huge wall facing southwest that would attract them in the fall, then they'd work their way in under the window. Sad part is that they work their way inside for warmth, but there's nothing inside for them to eat so they die once they're inside.
Sad? Maybe for them!

I sprayed the soap for three days in a row at about 3:00 PM when it’s warmest at the brick wall. I’m spraying them with Dawn and cold well water. They want to scatter but don’t make it far. Oh, the humanity! :eek:

We have those here too.
I have a giant maple tree in the yard.. 100year old type.

I was preping for putting in abit of gravel for my shed base... And all of a sudden hundreds started climbing my metal stakes.(3ft tall)
literally hundreds all over.. was kinda creepy.

Not related but also had massive infestation of earwigs here too. Piles of corpses in the house before I bought it..

I'd take the tarp off the tractor and thousands would be all over the tires and under tractor..

2 years of nuclear war later.. they are beat down to occasional sighting.

Back