Getting old sucks

I’m not looking forward to those days. At the end of the workday my legs always hurt so I go home and relax and they start to feel better usually. I guess it’s from being on the floor walking around all day with heavy boots and everything like that. I also get laughed at for using knee pads but I told my coworkers one day you are going to look back at me and think man why didn’t I save my knees and wear the knee pads. My boss has calcium deposits on his knee caps from having his knees on the floor all these years. We have at least one shop around here that is old school and uses no lifts at all for anything. Only Jack and Jack stands I don’t see how they can do it. Getting on the ground and getting up isn’t an issue for me but let me tell you I’ve worked and been in a shop going on 5 years now between school and work and it is such a luxury and convenience to have a lift. Unfortunately I don’t have one at home but still do a lot of work there.

Soon to be 74, I can still do anything I want, it just takes longer to do it. Keeping my 1994 Astro in top shape keeps me busy but I don't mind so much, just takes more time. I have just jacks and jack stands & mostly hand tools but I get it done.
DSCF2101.JPG

My dad and grandpa ruined their bodies doing collision repair work their whole lives.

My IT job is definitely not going to be wearing me out. But I need to get more active.
Your elder's work wore them out.

You're going to get weak and soft and have other problems. Get out there. 🧗‍♂️🚴‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🤺

We think we're invincible until we're not. I left a good manufacturing job last August @ 63 because of arthritis in my wrists.

Bunch of old farts around here.

The irony is that it *is* wearing you (and me) out, but in a different way due to the lack of overall activity.
In a different way yes. But I will still take it over the back breaking work they have done for decades. My grandpa is so stiff and arthritic, he can barely get in the car. He can’t sleep in his own bed anymore, it has to be his lift recliner.

Yea, I had my driver's license renewal a few weeks ago. I looked at the picture and suddenly realized, dang, I'm starting to look old (65)! This, coming from a guy whole enjoyed still getting carded for alcohol at age 32 (less common back then).

The one good thing about aging, for me at least, is that I feel a sense of having many (not all) things figured out about life. I have a better sense of balanced life. I have less anxiety about almost everything. Less need to rush. Less need to finish everything ahead of time. Less worry about career and kissing rear end in general. Less worry about perfection and material things. More priority towards family and friends (young guys - try to achieve this as early as possible).
Back in the day when the drinking age was 18 if you had a draft card it got you into the bar. They did not really need to read the info on the draft card as you got one shortly after turning 18 (if you registered).

I think I was 19 or 20, living at home & driving an old beater '68 Dodge Coronet in about 1978-79, my transmission went out on the way home from work. I called a buddy with a pickemup, went to a salvage yard and got a used 727 torqueflite, jacked up the car in a gravel driveway & dropped the junk tranny, then wrestled the "new" one onto my chest, wormed under the car and basically bench pressed it into position. I don't remember how I got the first bolt started, but I worked all night with drop lights and drove the car to work the next day. Next few days my back looked like I was attacked by a bobcat.
Now I'm 64, my knees & back hurt, and I won't work on a car that ISN'T in my garage or at least level concrete. And I own a spare car or two, so nothing HAS to be done overnight.

Reactions: JC1
Yes getting old does suck -- I'm 52 now and dealing with a delightful assortment of new aches and ailments. (It's not the years, it's the miles.) What I would give to have a lift in my garage... fortunately none of my vehicles need repairs, just maintenance, so I can't justify the cost and it's not too awful getting under (Tacoma) or jacking up (Corvette) once per year for inspection and service. But still, a lift would be really nice! :D

I agree, getting old sucks. I'm 54 and can feel it every time I work on something. I still work out five days a week though to try and stay as fit as possible for as long as possible.

I installed new oil cooler lines on my 98 chevy truck the other day laying on my back under the truck for several hours and I could feel it the next day.

The irony is that it *is* wearing you (and me) out, but in a different way due to the lack of overall activity.
IT environments can be extremely stressful from a stress/anxiety perspective. It is usually thankless, understaffed, and good talent is hard to find, so the skilled folks get loaded up. Teamwork personality can be tricky too, adding to stress from corporate... IT is an expensive overhead. Combined with the computer lifestyle often surrounding it, it creeps up from other angles. Hearing damage is not widely talked about but the guys in the back office get it. Theres also a significant exposure to 60hz RF, and while that is hotly debated, i suspect theres a legitimate point to it.

Back