Getting new tires Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy at Discount Tire said They have to order them. They are Michelin Destination tires. My car has 185/65R14 tires on it. He quoted me $396 out the door. How are these tires on the smaller cars? Yes I did see Tpitcher's review.
I have have BF Goodridge TA Touring tires and GOD ALMIGHTY they are noisy. The wear is good but the noise is just to much. They have 52k miles on them.
Thanks,
Dusty

I love getting new tires...hard to explain why, just like seeing new rubber on there...and new tires are always smoother and quieter than old tires...

Got the tires!
Question, the sidewall says 44psi max. The door sicker says 32f/35r. I have always run the at 35psi on all corners. Being this tire has a higher rated max pressure, could I bump the pressure up to 38-40psi? I want to make these tires last and get the best fuel mileage.
Thanks,
Dusty

You could, but it may result in unnecessarily harsh ride. I'd start with door sticker PSI and see how it feels. If you don't like it, adjust up from there.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Would it hurt the tire/shorten the life?

It could cause the tire to wear more in the center. I was running higher then recommended pressures in my Nissan and the rear tires wore the center of the tread considerably more than the rest of the tire. I just noticed it a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I love getting new tires...hard to explain why, just like seeing new rubber on there...and new tires are always smoother and quieter than old tires...

Yup. It's just one of the most visceral results you can enjoy with a routine parts change. The vehicle's ride, noise, handling, braking and steering all change at once going from hard, old worn-out donuts to fresh, new, thick rubber all around - and most cases dramatically for the better. Freshly balanced and aligned, the car tracks arrow straight and the wheels don't vibrate. A renewed driving experience all around.

Right up there with a trip back from the detailer with a former pigpen car.

Not to mention that unique "new tire" smell that permeates the garage for a couple of weeks, which reminds me of every old auto parts store going back to when I was a wee one. That smell never changes after all those decades.

I'd do it more often if it weren't so darned expensive.

Even though the sidewall max says 44psi?

Yup. The sidewall max is just that - a max, but it doesn't mean it'll provide optimal wear if you run it at that level.

FYI, my old Dunlops had a max PSI of 51, but they would wear unevenly if I ran them significantly higher than the car's recommended 33.

The guy at Discount Tire said They have to order them. They are Michelin Destination tires. My car has 185/65R14 tires on it. He quoted me $396 out the door. How are these tires on the smaller cars? Yes I did see Tpitcher's review.
I have have BF Goodridge TA Touring tires and GOD ALMIGHTY they are noisy. The wear is good but the noise is just to much. They have 52k miles on them.
Thanks,
Dusty

Although I don't have them on my Corolla (which also takes 185/65-14), I have them on both my parents vehicles and they are superb tires in all aspects; rain, snow, handling, and ride quality. i will likely be purchasing a set for my car this fall since they're fazing them out for the new Michelin Defender.

Last edited:
Sidewall max is a rating for that piece of rubber, which fits on many different vehicles.

Door sticker is the pressure tailored to your application. Running higher than recommended can result in reduced impact resistance, less traction, harsher ride and increased center wear. You will likely get slightly better MPG...but at the expense of increased center tread wear and shorter tire life...so, generally speaking, it's not worth it...

You want to make your head hurt with this topic? Search for a thread containing "hyperinflation"...I recommend opening a cold one before you start though...

For some good, common sense/education on tire inflation, read what BITOGer CapriRacer has put on his site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Had 'em on my Accord. Noisy and rough over potholes. Goodyear assurance comfort treads are quieter and better riding on my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back