getting generator ready for hurricane

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting the gen ready, I live right in the current path theyre showing on the weather channel, so power will most likely be out. GX 390 13 hp honda, should I go with some Rotella T5 10W30 or T6 5W40?

thanks man, i will keep in touch no worries. Hopefully it stays at a Cat. 1 so just water and wind damage at the most.

I got a jug of T5 10W30 and found two old dusty quart bottles of rotella T 5W40 synthetic at Walmart, CI-4 spec, not sure if its T6. leaning towards usng the 5W40, gen can run 8 hours on a tank of gas, how often should i change the oil?

Change the oil every 50 hours. I'd give the thing an hour to cool down as well, after the OC. You can protect the engine somewhat against heat but the generator head makes heat too and that relies on the fan to keep it cool. Makes a good case for load shedding even if the unit will happily run more.

I assume the fridge is already set to "9"?
laugh.gif

Its converted to run on natural gas, so the oil should stay cleaner i think. Honda recommends 10W30, 10W40, 20W40, and 20W50 so i dont think 5W40 rotella, especially a robust diesel oil, will fail. the 5W40 i have is about 5 years old, but still usable i would say.

Dragged out my 5600 today and ran it for a while. I change the oil and drain/add fresh fuel every June. Started first pull.

I run Penzoil 30HD and never had a problem. If I need to use the generator though, I have 3 more qts. of Penn 30 and a gallon of Rotella T5 10/30 to change at 35-40 hr use intervals

I lived for 6 days on this generator for Gustav a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back