Getting Connected With a New iMac

I'm getting a new iMac. The one with the 2 Thunderbolt ports and 2 USB-C ports in the back on the screen.

I use a lot of USB-A devices. I know I can buy a cable that will connect my USB-A to a USB-C/Thunderbolt port.

I guess I am looking for a USB hub that will enable me to hook up all my USB's and have that hub plug into one
of the ports on the iMac.

Do you have any suggestions? My HP printer is currently connected to my old iMac with an ethernet cable.

Attached is a pic of my current hookups with my 2010 iMac

Attachments

• IMG_5134.jpg
    IMG_5134.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 17
There are hubs that are USB-C in and several USB-A out.

If your printer has Ethernet it is network print capable, so connect printer to your router with Ethernet or wifi. It doesn't need to be connected directly to a computer.

If your printer is network capable because it hooks up to a imac with ethernet, then you can hook up the printer to a router.
Then set the printer using static address.
The manual should tell you how or go to network setting on the menu.

Then you can use the printer using the Wifi in your house.

As for other things, buy a hub or just adapter to convert USB-C to older USB ports.

I'd look for something that is one piece. Linking together multiple cables and adapters a bad connection is more likely.

Search for "USB C Hub" on any e-commerce site, it is an extremely common item.

DId you just buy the one cable or did you buy a hub?
I had the hub already from my previous iMac, so I just bought the adapter from Apple.
As it was said if your printer is network ready it will connect to the new iMac, I have an older HP connected to the new iMac and also a brand new Brother, which is much better than HP IMHO.

I’m a fan on Anker products. They have other models as well.

Nice. I use individual adapters for each cable on my Mac Mini. Maybe because at the time I couldnt find something well made and reasonably priced and function specific instead of these multiple do everything "jack of all trades" devices which I despise.
Think I will get one, I know the name well, it should be ok.

I'm still using a 2011 model MacBook Pro. This machine keeps on ticking! :cool: I used it to update the maps on the Garmin Navigation System in a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite.

FWIW, I just ordered a 14-port dock from Other World Computing(OWC). They offer several different models and configurations. The one I picked has a whole slew of high-powered USB 2.0 A type ports, a bunch of USB 3.0 A ports, mini-DP, ethernet, and a few others. These are mostly mobile focused, and this particular one along with a lot of their others do USB-C PD so they can charge a laptop. They'll work fine for any desktop, though.

USB-C and TB-3 are industry standards, and any other dock you find should work fine. OWC is a big name in aftermarket Mac stuff and do actually test/vet their stuff quite a bit to make sure it's fully Mac compatible. Often you do pay a premium for their stuff, but at the same time I didn't find the dock I bought especially expensive compared to similarly featured Belkin docks(and did even better with $30 off for buying an open box one).

I've been using this one for the past 2 years connected to a Mac Mini, with no issues.

Prior to this Tripp-Lite USB3 hub, I have owned a Belkin USB2 hub and a Belkin USB1 hub, with no issues.

Last edited:
Back