Germany is ramping up the coal

Status
Not open for further replies.
France seems to be able to embrace the Atom and they are some of the most laid back folks on the planet. If the French can engineer and use the atom reliably, I'd think it would be child's play for the Germans. It's a policy problem, not a technical problem.
Germany had many of the best and state of the art nuclear plants made but decommissioned them due to the greenies terrifying the public and making bogus claims wind and solar will do the job, well it didn't and it never will. Now the natural gas supply is under thread they are in a bit of a panic.

For new car sales. Doesn’t say about old cars.
Yes, but the word "registered" is key. Example: it means if someone lived in Iowa and bought a 2030 or newer model year ICE car or truck, then had to or wanted to move to WA, that ICE vehicle could not be registered and used in WA. They would have to sell it and buy an EV instead. Fun times ahead, and less than 8 years away.

Last edited:
Yes, but the word "registered" is key. Example: it means if someone lived in Iowa and bought a 2030 or newer model year ICE car or truck, then had to or wanted to move to WA, that ICE vehicle could not be registered and used in WA. They would have to sell it and buy an EV instead. Fun times ahead, and less than 8 years away.
That's not what that means, it means "new cars registered in..." not "cars registered in". This will only apply to brand new vehicles that have not been registered yet. Saying people will have to sell their car and get an electric car to move there is completely false.

That's not what that means, it means "new cars registered in..." not "cars registered in". This will only apply to brand new vehicles that have not been registered yet. Saying people will have to sell their car and get an electric car to move there is completely false.
Not so sure about that. You have any source you can link that clearly says that? The language is not totally clear. If you take it as written, "registered" means registered, regardless if the vehicle is sold new in WA or bought new in another state, and then brought into WA and registered, even if that vehicle was once registered in a different state.

I would think if a vehicle older than model year 2030 was previously registered in WA before the 2030 law takes effect, than it can still be registered and used in 2030 and beyond. But could be that people moving to WA after 2030 with an ICE that is model year 2030 and newer might not be able to register and use it in WA. Guess time will tell how it all unfolds if it gets that far.

Last edited:
Did you read the bill? The way I saw it worded was that any vehicle of model year 2030 or later that is registered in the state must be an EV. So yes you could bring in your 2029 gas vehicle and have it registered, but not a 2030 one. Just as ZeeOSix stated.

Here is Germany, right now, compared to France:
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 2.04.04 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 2.04.16 PM.jpg

Did you read the bill? The way I saw it worded was that any vehicle of model year 2030 or later that is registered in the state must be an EV. So yes you could bring in your 2029 gas vehicle and have it registered, but not a 2030 one. Just as ZeeOSix stated.

I partially read over the bill and I can't really make any sense of it. I see more pages dedicated to who can use/sell/buy/report the carbon tax credits than I do anything else. Section 408, page 72 looks like it starts mentioning the ban of gas cars by 2030 but there's more pages explaining the definition of words than the actual meat that we want to read.

I partially read over the bill and I can't really make any sense of it. I see more pages dedicated to who can use/sell/buy/report the carbon tax credits than I do anything else. Section 408, page 72 looks like it starts mentioning the ban of gas cars by 2030 but there's more pages explaining the definition of words than the actual meat that we want to read.
I would think any vehicle older than model year 2030 could still be registered and used after the 2030 law takes effect. But it sounds like any people moving to WA in 2030 or after with an ICE that is model year 2030 or newer might not be able to be register and use it in WA. No new ICE car/truck model year 2030 or newer can be sold in WA ... bet that will make car dealers scramble. All they will be able to sell are new or used EVs (probably hybrids too), and used ICE model year 2029 or older.

In other words, it seems the goal of the law would be to not allow any ICE car/trucks newer than model year 2030 to be registered in WA and driving on WA roads. Of course, people driving in/out from others states can do so, as their 2030+ ICE would be registered/licensed in a different state (ie, not a WA resident). Guess time will tell how it all unfolds if it gets that far.

So as time goes on ... it will be a bunch of old clunker ICE vehicles (like in Road Warrior, looking for gas) and a bunch of 2030+ model year EVs driving around. 😄

Last edited:
Look out the windshield and not in the rear view mirror.
Hey, that's my philosophy!! I am not into ancestor worship.

However, it is insane when suffering is intentionally put in place. The goal is to make our quality of life better in every way, not worse. This has little to do with looking back and more to to with making good choices. Mankind is going to have to learn to love the atom, period, end of story.

We have done a great job cleaning up our country over the last 100 years. People tend to ignore our progress and do nothing but insist on cutting back to the point of suffering.

Last edited:
Look out the windshield and not in the rear view mirror.
Depends on what you're looking at in the "rear view mirror". If what you see by looking back can make you go forward better without making similar bad decisions (ie, "lessons learned"), then it can have some value.

Not going to look, but CA has (had?) a similar law about bringing in cars with Federal emissions equipment. I believe the rule basic considered it used or otherwise ok once past 7,500 miles.

Not going to look, but CA has (had?) a similar law about bringing in cars with Federal emissions equipment. I believe the rule basic considered it used or otherwise ok once past 7,500 miles.
WA is becoming more stringent than CA with a lot of the eco stuff lately.

As topic is no longer on German political energy choices, rather american, it ends here,

Reminder if you use a word that the profanity filter won't allow. Don't bypass it by using gibberish. It just gets your post removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back