Replacing coal with nuclear - thermal re-power project

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Heat Pumps
2. Heat Pumps
3. Heat Pumps

They really do work and make sense in cold areas now.
Thats funny! True story, no kidding, really. We are looking at homes in Northern Florida and the site agent just informed us that gas was almost never used, only electric, this brand new community which will be HUGE and maybe take a decade or more to finish has gas including gas ranges and hot water, as she was promoting that almost like a "first" in Florida case you lose power *LOL*
Not sure if heat pump or not, I suspect heat pump, didnt see any exhaust stacks.

Here in SC, our home built 2006 has gas main level, heat pump second level, Never ever would I chose a heat pump over gas.
Its so cheap to heat our home with gas, I dont know, maybe it would be with electric but I think not and leave the second floor unit off since heat rises from the main level and we have an open floor plan.
If we had a heat pump on the main level we would be stuck with the 3 hour peak winter usage time where they take the highest average kWh for each month and charge $12 a kWh. (over then that its 5,5 cents kWh)

Last edited:
Thats funny! True story, no kidding, really. We are looking at homes in Northern Florida and the site agent just informed us that gas was almost never used, only electric, this brand new community which will be HUGE and maybe take a decade or more to finish has gas including gas ranges and hot water, as she was promoting that almost like a "first" in Florida case you lose power *LOL*
Not sure if heat pump or not, I suspect heat pump, didnt see any exhaust stacks.

Here in SC, our home built 2006 has gas main level, heat pump second level, Never ever would I chose a heat pump over gas.
Its so cheap to heat our home with gas, I dont know, maybe it would be with electric but I think not and leave the second floor unit off since heat rises from the main level and we have an open floor plan.
If we had a heat pump on the main level we would be stuck with the 3 hour peak winter usage time where they take the highest average kWh for each month and charge $12 a kWh. (over then that its 5,5 cents kWh)

It's cheap until natural gas prices are through the roof. Not to mention how many less units of energy overall you need to heat with heat pumps.

Here's a great recent video breaking down it. Might it cost you a little more to heat with a heat pump depending on where you live? Maybe but highly unlikely especially in warmer areas like the south, where heat pumps have pretty much been the standard for years- but in the long run it's better for the environment (since it uses less fossil fuels ultimately than even burning gas in a furnace at your house).

Also let's talk about gas ranges. Here's another video from the same guy that covers the topic. Gas ranges are TERRIBLE. They are slower than electric (especially ceramic-glasstop), and raise the CO2 level in your house by multiple times normal, plus all the soot and particulate matter. Not great for health.

Cliff notes:

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet (the former who is heavily invested in the Natrium reactor through TerraPower) are working on re-powering a coal plant, using all of the existing generating bits, but changing the power source to a high temperature MSR nuclear unit.

The unit will provide a nominal output of 345MW, with the ability to ramp up to 500MW for peaking purposes.

While the exact plant is yet to be chosen we can expect the selection of a 500MW nominal coal-fired unit as the logical choice (given peak output) which, when utilized in this manner will allow load following. This is a 1:1 replacement, recycling existing generation components but changing the power source and is a game changer for the industry.

If successful, existing coal plants could be readily converted to run on small nuclear reactors, retaining jobs, and power output, while reducing direct emissions to zero.

China is also in the process of pursuing a similar endeavour, however, if this project sticks to its timeline, the US will likely beat China to the first successful demonstration.
Perhaps one of the units at Jim Bridger?

Cliff notes:

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet (the former who is heavily invested in the Natrium reactor through TerraPower) are working on re-powering a coal plant, using all of the existing generating bits, but changing the power source to a high temperature MSR nuclear unit.

The unit will provide a nominal output of 345MW, with the ability to ramp up to 500MW for peaking purposes.

While the exact plant is yet to be chosen we can expect the selection of a 500MW nominal coal-fired unit as the logical choice (given peak output) which, when utilized in this manner will allow load following. This is a 1:1 replacement, recycling existing generation components but changing the power source and is a game changer for the industry.

If successful, existing coal plants could be readily converted to run on small nuclear reactors, retaining jobs, and power output, while reducing direct emissions to zero.

China is also in the process of pursuing a similar endeavour, however, if this project sticks to its timeline, the US will likely beat China to the first successful demonstration.
Perhaps one of the units at Jim Bridger?

Had to remove another post for profanity filter bypass and thread has gone off topic.

Start a new topic on heatpumps if that interests you.
Start a new topic on welding for nuclear plant components if that topic interests you.

Skip the profanity filter bypassing it only gets your post removed, at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back