German ingenuity

wlk

FB_IMG_1668730210817.jpg

Looks eerily like the Dodge Charger, Challenger rear suspension.
Arent they just e class platforms from the mercedes chrysler merger. Seems like a lot of the jeeps, durango, chargers share mercedes tech.

I used to own a W124 chassis Mercedes-Benz 300E and the rear suspension was exactly like that drawing. As the vehicle aged it required replacement of the bushings of each linkage. Fortunately the parts were inexpensive (relatively speaking).

With regard to the Car Wizard video... BMW has Service "A" and Service "B" schedules that they ask be followed during ownership of the vehicles. These services cover things like inspecting the cooling hoses, brakes, etc. and scheduled replacement of wiper blades and key fob batteries. Nobody follows these maintenance schedules. At ten years of age you can guess that everything that should have been replaced on schedule is going to fail.

And if I open a hood and see some stupid K&N filter sticker on the air box I just close the hood and ask the owner to take it to PepBoys. That's what they want in the first place and my time is too valuable to be playing boy racer with adults.

Last edited:
Arent they just e class platforms from the mercedes chrysler merger. Seems like a lot of the jeeps, durango, chargers share mercedes tech.
I believe those are based on the W210 platform. Meanwhile the latest e class Benz is headed towards W214. Stellantis/Chrystal/FCA sure does know how to milk a chassis platform :)

My BMW provides heat after the engine has been turned off, for maybe 25 minutes, depending on the ambient temp. It's an awesome feature, I mean so different than the American concept of simply idling away for hours. I've used it 2X in 16 years lol

Some evidence to what you are saying......just watched this video.

I had no idea that BMW models like this one were known for eating starters.

I watched this last night and he's turning into a quieter version of Scotty Kilmer.

No 1 You can get the vehicle into neutral w/out going underneath the car. The vehicle has the ZF 8HP which is used in a bunch of other makes. No mention of how difficult it is to get them into neutral.

No 2 It's a 200k mile BMW with stop-start and he's complaining about the cost of the starter?

No 3 The intake manifold doesn't need to be removed. Just loosened but hey lets embellish because the majority of my viewers always watch Scotty and they love it when I bash on German vehicles.

I watched this last night and he's turning into a quieter version of Scotty Kilmer.

No 1 You can get the vehicle into neutral w/out going underneath the car. The vehicle has the ZF 8HP which is used in a bunch of other makes. No mention of how difficult it is to get them into neutral.

No 2 It's a 200k mile BMW with stop-start and he's complaining about the cost of the starter?

No 3 The intake manifold doesn't need to be removed. Just loosened but hey lets embellish because the majority of my viewers always watch Scotty and they love it when I bash on German vehicles.
I watched him long ago and felt he was the type who needed validation for overcharging the customer. Honestly, I said I paid $180 to have 2 upstream 02 sensors installed, it's not cheap, but it's not robbery either--that's the type of shop I trust and would go to. Maybe they'd do YouTube one day, who knows--they all went to SEMA. I couldn't DIY and I could barely even access the sensors from the ground through the subframe, couldn't even get the socket on correctly let alone the ratchet to the socket. Some indies would likely charge the same as the dealer and justify it...(my research says a dealer would get ~ $700 and then there was a faulty wire that was the culprit, that would have cost even more maybe over $1000)

I watched him long ago and felt he was the type who needed validation for overcharging the customer. Honestly, I said I paid $180 to have 2 upstream 02 sensors installed, it's not cheap, but it's not robbery either--that's the type of shop I trust and would go to. Maybe they'd do YouTube one day, who knows--they all went to SEMA. I couldn't DIY and I could barely even access the sensors from the ground through the subframe, couldn't even get the socket on correctly let alone the ratchet to the socket. Some indies would likely charge the same as the dealer and justify it...(my research says a dealer would get ~ $700 and then there was a faulty wire that was the culprit, that would have cost even more maybe over $1000)
John, Thanks for setting the record straight. I didn't think about the start / stop scenario....as none of my cars has that feature. Also there was some other repair shop in his area that he use to send BMWs to and I was surprised that he did not do that with this one. I will say that the car looks very clean and well taken care of for having 200k.

Back