German Castrol 0w-30 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the 0-30 GC is on the thick side, do you think it would be a problem running it in my 2001 SCREW with SOHC Triton 4.6.? (hope not, I just put some in)

I live in a pretty warm area that seldom sees freezing temps and summers usually in the 90's and sometimes 100's, and tend to drive it a little hard (Superchip, exhaust and intake)

I average about 3000 miles in about 4 months. and my daily commute is only about 6 miles each way (I get it warm though
wink.gif
) and I do several short highway jaunts per month.

What do you think a good drain interval would be?

Thanks in advance

Probably one of the best oil choices you could pick for that engine. It will get to the heads quickly on start-up and protect well when hot. As for OCI, you may want to run a UOA at 3k and see where you're at. I'd say you could easily go 6k out of the box and further if you keep testing it.

Thanks for the reply,

I was thinking about 4k or 5k intervals since I have such short trips and put so few miles on the truck.

People at Autozone looked a little funny when I got to the counter with the last 16 bottles they had in the store
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rbraughn:

People at Autozone looked a little funny when I got to the counter with the last 16 bottles they had in the store
wink.gif

Yeah...they laugh about you to their fellow employees, and then go back and purchase Valvoline All-Climate and a Fram filter with their 20% discount.

Hey, as an Autozone employee, I resent that remark, lol
wink.gif
. What's really funny is that the same day I first read about GC here, I had a customer come in looking for it and when I mentioned I had read about it here, he said he did too! Luckily, he left me 6 quarts for me to purchase for my wife's SRT-4.

Unfortunately, we don't get a discount on oil, so I have to get my Mobil 1 at Costco for the Firebird.

It does make me feel good to give out an STP filter instead of a Fram everytime a customer asks for an oil filter. I make a point of letting them know that they are getting a much better quality piece at a lower price. One by one, we will convert them all, haha
grin.gif

Mike

It's good to have someone like you working at Autozone Mike!

What year is your Firebird? I've got a 95 Formula which I'm running GC 0w30 in, with excellent results! The LT1 engine loves this thicker oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back