George Russell gets his first win in Formula 1

I had the race recorded and had not watched it yet on Sunday. When I opened up Bitog, I saw the "George Russell wins first race" in the right column. So I figured he won the race. So I'm watching the race and he is not in the lead in the final few laps. Then he crashes and I'm wondering how the hell did he win. Were the winners disqualified or something? Then I opened up the thread.LOL

I think Sainz is an underrated driver, very happy for him,
Ya. I think RB really did him wrong when they had him swap with Max way back during a race. At least with Ferrari it seems that if you're faster than No 1 (LeClerc in this instance) they'll let you stay there.

Some would say the team only exists because of his father.
For sure now, but he did have some really good junior category results. I assume he was always with the best teams then, but I'm not sure how much of an advantage that was with spec cars? He's had a few good F1 races, but none recently...
Even "nice guy" Alonso isn't an easy teammate to have, as only Button and Hamilton have really been competitive with him.

Last edited:
Really makes me want to go buy a set of Pirellis right now. What a joke, this proves they need to allow more testing.

Really makes me want to go buy a set of Pirellis right now. What a joke, this proves they need to allow more testing.
Yes but they need tire company competition and less tire BS

They were told (just as were Nascar/goodyear) to make the tires degrade more to bring tire strategy and driver input to the race. Not really Pirelli's fault. I agree, the tire wars were fascinating and a large part as to why I watched in the first turbo era.

I couldn’t watch qual

What happened to Ferrari??
The Ferrari drivers were relatively happy with how their Friday went, but the same couldn’t be said for their Saturday. Neither was impressed with the pace of the car in FP3, Leclerc calling it “extremely slow” over the radio. But they still expected to get both cars into Q3 in qualifying, even if they weren’t in the mix for pole. Instead, neither could make it to the top 10 shootout, as they were out-paced and out-classed by the RB duo and Albon’s Williams. They need to do some thinking before the race about how to rescue their weekend from two disappointing grid slots.

READ MORE: Leclerc left scratching his head over Ferrari’s ‘strange’ qualifying slump in Canada

Charles Leclerc, 11th, 1:12.691

"We have to review this qualifying session and FP3, as we simply weren’t at the level we need to be.

"Tyre management will play a big role in the race so we have to focus on that and will push to gain positions tomorrow. With mixed weather conditions, there may be some opportunities coming our way and we must be ready to make the most of them."

Carlos Sainz, 12th, 1:12.728

"It's been a tough Saturday for us. We had trouble with grip and couldn't get the tyres to work properly. On the last lap in Q2 I tried everything but unfortunately I didn't nail the last corner and that's where I lost my chances of advancing to Q3.

"I stay positive for tomorrow and I think we can still bring home some good points. We will give it our best shot."

Fred Vasseur, Team Principal

"Everyone in the team is rather frustrated at the way today’s qualifying went. Today, since FP3, we were lacking something a little bit everywhere, even if yesterday it seemed we were going pretty well and the pace was there over a long run in both wet and dry conditions.

"I think everyone was struggling a bit with tyres, to the point that even Russell’s pole position was obtained on a scrubbed set, but we struggled more than others and we were unable to put everything together to switch on the tyres at the right moment. We will now analyse everything very carefully but we must keep our spirits up and remember that the points are given out tomorrow.

"As for the race, we will have to wait and see what the weather has in store because it’s the big unknown. I remember that last year here we also started from far back and we managed to move up the order."

The Ferrari drivers were relatively happy with how their Friday went, but the same couldn’t be said for their Saturday. Neither was impressed with the pace of the car in FP3, Leclerc calling it “extremely slow” over the radio. But they still expected to get both cars into Q3 in qualifying, even if they weren’t in the mix for pole. Instead, neither could make it to the top 10 shootout, as they were out-paced and out-classed by the RB duo and Albon’s Williams. They need to do some thinking before the race about how to rescue their weekend from two disappointing grid slots.

READ MORE: Leclerc left scratching his head over Ferrari’s ‘strange’ qualifying slump in Canada

Charles Leclerc, 11th, 1:12.691

"We have to review this qualifying session and FP3, as we simply weren’t at the level we need to be.

"Tyre management will play a big role in the race so we have to focus on that and will push to gain positions tomorrow. With mixed weather conditions, there may be some opportunities coming our way and we must be ready to make the most of them."

Carlos Sainz, 12th, 1:12.728

"It's been a tough Saturday for us. We had trouble with grip and couldn't get the tyres to work properly. On the last lap in Q2 I tried everything but unfortunately I didn't nail the last corner and that's where I lost my chances of advancing to Q3.

"I stay positive for tomorrow and I think we can still bring home some good points. We will give it our best shot."

Fred Vasseur, Team Principal

"Everyone in the team is rather frustrated at the way today’s qualifying went. Today, since FP3, we were lacking something a little bit everywhere, even if yesterday it seemed we were going pretty well and the pace was there over a long run in both wet and dry conditions.

"I think everyone was struggling a bit with tyres, to the point that even Russell’s pole position was obtained on a scrubbed set, but we struggled more than others and we were unable to put everything together to switch on the tyres at the right moment. We will now analyse everything very carefully but we must keep our spirits up and remember that the points are given out tomorrow.

"As for the race, we will have to wait and see what the weather has in store because it’s the big unknown. I remember that last year here we also started from far back and we managed to move up the order."
The first natural question ~ What changed?? Both DNF

Back