George Russell gets his first win in Formula 1

George Russell gets his first win in Formula 1. Drove a flawless race in Brazil. I would expect him to win the championship for Mercedes in the next few years.
Yeah, I think next year with a competitive car from the start, Lewis and George will be very closely matched. Also there are so many good youngish drivers now that it's going to be pretty interesting, and even Alonso and Hamilton are still quite fast. I find myself cheering for Alonso now, gives us old guys hope that we can stay sharp!

Lewis and George will be very closely matched.
Not taking anything away from Lewis, but I think George has shown he's a better driver (now). The way he jumped in the car at Sakhir and outdrove everyone shows his raw racing talent in a car he had so little experience in. Yes, I know he's a Mercedes junior and has driven the W cars but to adapt so quickly and so well. Now look at this year and how he's outpaced Lewis.... People will say and have said that Lewis sacrificed this year to help develop the car by taking on all of the experimental bits and maybe so.

I am a Lewis fan, to be clear (though it did get old after his 5th championship and I wanted to see others challenge him).

Not taking anything away from Lewis, but I think George has shown he's a better driver (now). The way he jumped in the car at Sakhir and outdrove everyone shows his raw racing talent in a car he had so little experience in. Yes, I know he's a Mercedes junior and has driven the W cars but to adapt so quickly and so well. Now look at this year and how he's outpaced Lewis.... People will say and have said that Lewis sacrificed this year to help develop the car by taking on all of the experimental bits and maybe so.

I am a Lewis fan, to be clear (though it did get old after his 5th championship and I wanted to see others challenge him).
George has been so consistent this year even when the car was bad, where Lewis seems to up and down in his driving depending on his chance to win. If the car is good right from the start next year, I think they will have quite the battle. Once the car got half decent in the last half of the year their results have been very close!

Very entertaining race, happy for Russell for sure.

Can’t stand Max and he proved why (again) yesterday.

Would there be the same Max hate if he had said nothing though ? He would have still ignored the "order", of course.

The smart move for a driver is to just act like they didn't hear anything.
"Skreeeech, skreeeee, skreeeee Repeat last skreeeeech hear skree skree"
"Skreeeech, sorry you skreeeee, skreeeee breaking skree skree"

Although I think the big take-away from the race was Max apparently not knowing what "Multi 21" means.

Team orders is one of the things that I hate about the Euro-centric racing series. I understand it's rooted in the hierarchical culture, and class-divided society, but it should have no place in a pure competition.

Let the chips fall where they may, without artificial interference.

It's also ironic that what are purportedly the best racing drivers on Earth can't manange to perform "overtaking" maneuvers without running into each other, either intentionally or unintentionally. Throw some of these guys into a multi-class series like sports cars, and they'd be lost.

But, that's F1, and feeds the fervency people have for it, whether natural, or contrived. With the titles long decided, the type of storiies written about the series since are quite telling, with racing only a peripheral part of it. Isn't it time for Hamilton's jewerly choices to be come a hot topic again?

It's also ironic that what are purportedly the best racing drivers on Earth can't manange to perform "overtaking" maneuvers without running into each other, either intentionally or unintentionally.
1) The cars have gotten bigger while many tracks haven't (gotten wider). 2) The other driver will do everything they can (within the rules) to keep them from passing.

Yeah, boring except for Alonzo. Props to Stroll for pushing through, but the F2 champion is there to show the true car pace breathing down his neck.

Back