Genuine Mazda Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,
Picked up a used CX-7 a few weeks ago. It had 7000 miles on it. Im currently at 8700 miles and I checked the oil today and it was low. Picked up a qt of MC 5w30 Blend. It took a half quart to top it off. I have been religious about giving it a min or so to warm up and before I turn it off.

So, I decided to call the dealership and just see what they put in their cars that come in for service. I was told by two people that it is Mazda 5w30 Dino oil. I have a feeling that it is MC Syn Blend. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of the mysterious Mazda oil here in the US.

I've heard of it, never could find out who made it. I too suspect that it was MC at one time at least. Most Mazda dealers use bulk oil "Whatever'sCheapest SM" but will have bottles of Mazda oil around for aesthetics...

In a DISI Turbo, I'd give serious consideration to a synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra...

Last edited:
I'm afraid it is just some cheap 5w30 Dino. In another 1300 miles I will have to change it up. I do tend to agree that the PP seems to look the best for an oil you can get anywhere. I think the Redline looks good too. I knew that getting a turbo motor was going to be a lil stricter on maintenance, but I didn't factor in the DI.

with the ford/mazda relationship, id say its some form of motorcraft. I have a mazda 6 (2.3L), recently stripped oil plug, called advance, they said oh no we have no plug for it, dealer only item, so i said...have one for ford escape w/2.3? they said we sure do, so i said..i'll be there in a min., point being almost every part, even the dipstick says fomoco right on it...

They claim the 5w20 is not a synthetic blend because that is the only oil they allow us to use on RX8's and MNAO specifically tells us to not use any synthetic or synthetic blend oil in any RX8.

My local Mazda dealer's service advisor told me they used Genuine Mazda Oil when they serviced my friend's Mazda 3, but after interrogating the parts guy, he told me that the so-called Genuine Mazda Oil is a generic bulk oil from the local bulk oil distributor, Coast Oil Company LLC. From their website, their 5w-20 oil doesn't even meet the latest Ford specifications.

No idea what the local bulk would be around here in NJ, but I am sure its nowhere near as good as at least MC Blend. In two weeks I'll drain it, get a UOA and fill up with something nice.

We have a mazda3 that the dealer tossed in a service plan with. I know they use bulk QS 5w20 blend & 5w30 dino there.

I just don't like bulk oil period. I am never sure it has not sat around (> 9 months) long enough to where the additives have stratified/separated. I doen't really know what the oil is and can't depend on service oe service writers to know. I don't like paying dealer top dollar for whatever bulk oil they say they use. I do-it-my-self or go to an independent who pours from a 4Q jug or quart bottles. In addition: most bult oil users use a mechanical fill attachment and I have never seen an oil change, using one of these auto fillers that got to better than +/-1 1/4 quart and often worse. End of rant.

Mazda now 'allows' the use of 40-weight oils in the DISI Turbos....I'd seriously look into running something like M1 0W-40. Some of those engines get scary UOA results on GF-4 30-weights....

I've run M1 5W-30 in my MS3 since its first oil change and my UOAs have been fine(using a 5000 mile OCI). That said, I know others who haven't had similar success with either M1 or PP 5W-30. If I was going to use a 5W-40 I'd use M1 TDT or Rotella.
YMMV...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Mazda now 'allows' the use of 40-weight oils in the DISI Turbos....I'd seriously look into running something like M1 0W-40. Some of those engines get scary UOA results on GF-4 30-weights....

They do in the 3.7L V6 (modified Ford Duratec) as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back