gentle and easy removal of old sealant and/or wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just compounded the beige 99 Camry, put a name-brand sealant, two coats w/buffer, and two coats wax w/buffer. Son-of-a-gun, my wife bought a WHITE Camry. It also now reflects light!

Here is the question. After reading here and elsewhere, I have decided that I am right in being disappointed with my name brand sealant and wax, and wish to change.

What is the cheap and EASY removal method for the sealant and wax? That will not require that I re-compound? Getting the Camry to this level took me 3 hours of sweat, and I do not wish to repeat that effort.

thanks!
terry

Quote:

I just compounded the beige 99 Camry, put a name-brand sealant, two coats w/buffer, and two coats wax w/buffer. Son-of-a-gun, my wife bought a WHITE Camry. It also now reflects light!

Check the detailing forums, Dawn hand dishwashing detergent is widely recommended.

Here is the question. After reading here and elsewhere, I have decided that I am right in being disappointed with my name brand sealant and wax, and wish to change.

What is the cheap and EASY removal method for the sealant and wax? That will not require that I re-compound? Getting the Camry to this level took me 3 hours of sweat, and I do not wish to repeat that effort.

thanks!
terry

Why remove it at all? Why not just leave it on for now, and just apply your new product right on top of it in a week or two?

Dawn dishwashing liquid(blue)is the best I have used to remove other wax. I would then cut with Klasse AIO, and wax with P21S (I use S100 and really cant tell the difference,and it's 1/3 price). The Ford Expedition I'm assigned is having a new engine put in. I had to bring the spare vehicle home today, a 1999 Explorer, that's been in the elements its entire life with maybe a cheap coat of wax every year. The black paint looked terrible. I used the dawn to remove road grime, and then used the PC to apply the Klasse and S100. It turned out really nice.

Quote:

Why remove it at all? Why not just leave it on for now, and just apply your new product right on top of it in a week or two?

I agree.

How are you disappointed with your current finish?

If I wanted to strip, I would clay bar. I've read Dawn can be harsh on your paint.

Quote:

Ditto. It's pointless to remove one product just to apply another. The new product will most likely have enough solvents, etc. in it to clean right thru the old product anyways. On beige, it's doubtful you'd ever notice the difference if you did it one way vs. another anyways...Light colors don't take a whole lot of work to keep looking nice.

In all the detailing I've done over the years, never once have I removed one product from the paint before applying another. It's just extra unnecessary work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back