Genesis G70 Shooting Brake

It’s a shame. I’m so sick of these mom-mobiles like the CRV, Sportage, RAV4, Trax, Equinox, etc.

They’re too ugly, too small, and underpowered.

Don't get me wrong, there are good examples. CRV and RAV4 sell well for a reason. I'm thinking more about smaller ones than that even. Trax, HRV, Ecosport, CHR. Vehicles that really have no benefit over anything else.

I think height for storage is vastly over valued. How often do you stack things to the ceiling in a small SUV? Of course it will vary person to person but for me that's basically a never.
Putting bikes in the back is another reason for a bit of cargo height. One of my skiing friends got a new awd volvo wagon with a swoopy low roof and was lamenting the lack of cargo space and that stuff gets piled to the ceiling back there. Even our Outback has a more sloped rear window that our Focus which is noticeable when its stuffed to the gills for camping trips. I agree that the smallest SUV aren't the most practical, although if anyone actually went of offroad with them, you might get farther down the trail that you'd think just with the shorter wheelbase and overhangs.
I don't know what I'll get when the Focus becomes to perforated, hopefully VW still keeps selling their wagon for a few more years atleast.

It’s a shame. I’m so sick of these mom-mobiles like the CRV, Sportage, RAV4, Trax, Equinox, etc.

They’re too ugly, too small, and underpowered.
The CRV and RAV4 are bigger than the old Cherokees, actually pretty much the same interior space as a new Grand Cherokee, and I think they are the smallest of the practical family SUV's. The CRV has never been fast, but the RAV4 V6 and now hybrid are quick enough for most people.

Last edited:
The CRV and RAV4 are bigger than the old Cherokees, actually pretty much the same interior space as a new Grand Cherokee, and I think they are the smallest of the practical family SUV's. The CRV has never been fast, but the RAV4 V6 and now hybrid are quick enough for most people.
My Cherokee is child sized in the back seat. But it is an off-road vehicle.

Even the Grand Cherokee is way too small in the back seat.

It is always entertaining how people see a wagon slated to be released in other regions and clamor for it in the USA. Then once in a while an automaker antes up and releases a wagon (Buick TourX for example), and very few buy it. Then it gets canceled.

Mercedes still offers the E-class wagon. Volvo offers the V60 and the V90. Audi offers the A4 and A6 Allroads. There are wagons already in the US that would compete with this Genesis G70 wagon. Might as well just buy a Genesis GV70 and lower it.

It is always entertaining how people see a wagon slated to be released in other regions and clamor for it in the USA. Then once in a while an automaker antes up and releases a wagon (Buick TourX for example), and very few buy it. Then it gets canceled.

Mercedes still offers the E-class wagon. Volvo offers the V60 and the V90. Audi offers the A4 and A6 Allroads. There are wagons already in the US that would compete with this Genesis G70 wagon. Might as well just buy a Genesis GV70 and lower it.
No accounting for taste! ;) I'm sure millions of dollars of marketing research and ads have gone into conditioning people into preferring the SUV and the number of huge pickups in N.A. gets people wanting to be up closer to that height. Personally I don't understand why the Forester outsells the Outback, the difference in price and ride height is pretty minimal and its a bit bigger, quieter, and more capable.

No accounting for taste! ;) I'm sure millions of dollars of marketing research and ads have gone into conditioning people into preferring the SUV and the number of huge pickups in N.A. gets people wanting to be up closer to that height. Personally I don't understand why the Forester outsells the Outback, the difference in price and ride height is pretty minimal and its a bit bigger, quieter, and more capable.

Seriously. I have a friend that went from a Ford Edge to a Subaru Crosstrek and they had a difficult time adjusting to the drastic difference. They wanted another Edge to replace their old one, but the pricing for a new Edge turned them off. The Outback would have been a much better option for them and would have been less of a drastic change. The "crossover" image of the Crosstrek won out over the wagon stigma attached to the Outback...which is what I suspect happens with the Forester vs Outback as well.

I believe the TourX story was a bit different.

I may be wrong, but I think the main reason TourX was offered here was because GM was just importing excess production from Opel, Germany (sold as Opel Insignia over there). GM sold Opel to PSA in 2017, but by that time they've already committed to making the TourX and getting some of the inventory - maybe that was part of the deal to offset the sale of Opel to PSA. I think the number of units was limited, so they did not bother to do any marketing around it - no point in trying to drum up demand if you can't increase the supply. Besides, actively marketing the TourX could have potentially cannibalized Buick's CUV/SUV sales, so again, why do it?

By late 2019, GM decided to pull out of the car market, so they killed off Regal which is the sedan version of TourX, and so naturally the TourX got canned as well. The GM and Ford believe that if it is not jacked up, it will not sell in the US.

I was seriously looking at the TourX at one point, but I wished it was available with a V6 engine like the Regal GS. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten one anyway to replace my aging BMW as a primary beater. I think my wife doesn't want an SUV anymore, so I'll need to buy something with ample cargo space for when we go camping. This G70 SB is nice, but it won't cost $30K like the TourX did. :)

Doah! just checked--TourX wasn't rated to tow. Or might be rated to 1k now. What kind of wagon isn't rated to tow?

[I didn't care for how my Camry was pushed around last weekend with a small load (1,250lb?) and so I've been regretting trading out of my truck since. 'cuz I need to have that capacity for the once or twice a year that I "need" it... first world problems I know.]

Dang that's cool. Too bad us American's are too stupid to realize a wagon is the most efficiently packaged vehicle and instead buy ugly little CUV's.
CUV and SUV's provide comfort in the form of better visibility and ease of egress/ingress. Perhaps it will change as the current population of heffer age out of the front seat. ;)

Doah! just checked--TourX wasn't rated to tow. Or might be rated to 1k now. What kind of wagon isn't rated to tow?
Yes, 1,000 lb according to Buick.
Strangely enough, the European Opel Insignia Tourer can tow up to 4,850 lb. Not sure why such a large difference...

Strangely enough, the European Opel Insignia Tourer can tow up to 4,850 lb. Not sure why such a large difference...
The Great North America Towing Controversy. Not sure anyone has a definitive answer. There are big differences in how they tow versus us, but usually it’s only a 2x difference.

Man they got the lines right on this one. And it’s RWD, right? Goodness that is sleek. I think they could’ve been a touch more dialed in at the tailgate; compared with the rest of the vehicle I don’t think it got the same amount of design thought - it looks like the assignment nobody wanted, but the rest of it is beautiful.

interior appointments are ... close ... exterior for the win.

Back