Genesis G70 Shooting Brake

Another cool wagon America is not getting. :(

2022-Genesis-G70-Shooting-Brake-1-1.jpg

My wife says they need to figure out what they are after—is it supposed to be sporty or is it a wagon? Seems to be confused. To me, it blurs the line between utility and a hatch in the rear IMO.

Speaking of which, that rear doesn’t look great to me, not sure I could live with those brake lights.

My wife says they need to figure out what they are after—is it supposed to be sporty or is it a wagon?
Why can't it be both? I love sporty wagons.

It has practicality of a small SUV, but with handling/sportiness of a sedan because it's low to the ground. Much better driving dynamics than a typical CUV/SUV.

Why can't it be both? I love sporty wagons.
You’re talking to a couple who now own not one but three Camry’s. Our idea of vehicles is warped. :oops:

I miss my Jetta Wagon, that was a utility vehicle to me. 46 mpg, leather interior and driving range. And diesel torque. Loved that car... I’m starting to “like” what our CRV can move in terms of stuff, but boy do I hate driving it. I’m starting to think of trading a Camry for a wagon but I’m not sure what I want.

You’re talking to a couple who now own not one but three Camry’s. Our idea of vehicles is warped. :oops:

I miss my Jetta Wagon, that was a utility vehicle to me. 46 mpg, leather interior and driving range. And diesel torque. Loved that car... I’m starting to “like” what our CRV can move in terms of stuff, but boy do I hate driving it. I’m starting to think of trading a Camry for a wagon but I’m not sure what I want.

CTSv.JPG

I’m starting to think of trading a Camry for a wagon but I’m not sure what I want.
Buick TourX was a great example of affordable practicality, alas, GM killed it off recently as well. America hates wagons. :(

You can find them lightly used, but with current used car prices, you're not going to get a deal.

Cadillac? Looks decent, albeit it looks like low profile rubber. Definitely more in line with what I’d like next.
I was kinda joking around with you. I know next to zero about those cars, except the people that have them couldn't be coaxed out of them with a suitcase full of cash. Some guys love the idea of a vehicle that can carry a bunch of stuff at light speed. Not my cup of tea, but more my cup of tea than an SUV.

Buick TourX was a great example of affordable practicality, alas, GM killed it off recently as well. America hates wagons. :(

You can find them lightly used, but with current used car prices, you're not going to get a deal.

Was just going to say that. The TourX really was the only domestic *cough cough* wagon I've liked.

Yeah, I don't want to be shopping right now. Wife is convinced that I need to buy a project truck, something to putter around with and to futz on, but I sure know that right now is not the time.

I was kinda joking around with you. I know next to zero about those cars, except the people that have them couldn't be coaxed out of them with a suitcase full of cash. Some guys love the idea of a vehicle that can carry a bunch of stuff at light speed. Not my cup of tea, but more my cup of tea than an SUV.
No offense taken. This is how some of the better threads go--thread drift, but sure beats working.

Says the guy with a Sonic and a Spark. Cute Utes didn't corner the market on little and ugly. :unsure:
I think you miss my point. Ugly is subjective and really not the focus. The issue is people buy these little CUV's thinking they will be better in inclement weather and have tons of cargo room. When in reality due to styling they are more cramped and have less cargo room than something like a wagon. Also they usually get pretty poor MPG due to aero issues and their AWD systems are kind of a joke.

The issue is people buy these little CUV's thinking they will be better in inclement weather and have tons of cargo room. When in reality due to styling they are more cramped and have less cargo room than something like a wagon. Also they usually get pretty poor MPG due to aero issues and their AWD systems are kind of a joke.
I had an '04 Jetta wagon and now have an '03 CRV. Quick look shows the VW was 34/52 and the CRV is 34/72 for cubic feet of cargo, seats up/down. I see the Regal is listed as 33/74. I will say the tall ceiling of the CRV makes taking trash cans to the transfer station easier than it was for my Jetta, maybe the Regal is like that too.

I don't like the AWD that this CRV has but I guess it technically counts for something. Took nothing for my VW to get high ended in snow so ground clearance can be nice; there was one winter where I was dragging the oil pavement on pavement due to some really bad roads next to me.

Hands down the handling is awful on the CRV. Every time I get the thought to get a CUV I just go and drive this one. Its 23 mpg is not helping either. I wouldn't have it save for the fact that it's cannon fodder for a teen driver. But I've read that CUV's have gotten better since 2003.

I had an '04 Jetta wagon and now have an '03 CRV. Quick look shows the VW was 34/52 and the CRV is 34/72 for cubic feet of cargo, seats up/down. I see the Regal is listed as 33/74. I will say the tall ceiling of the CRV makes taking trash cans to the transfer station easier than it was for my Jetta, maybe the Regal is like that too.

I don't like the AWD that this CRV has but I guess it technically counts for something. Took nothing for my VW to get high ended in snow so ground clearance can be nice; there was one winter where I was dragging the oil pavement on pavement due to some really bad roads next to me.

Hands down the handling is awful on the CRV. Every time I get the thought to get a CUV I just go and drive this one. Its 23 mpg is not helping either. I wouldn't have it save for the fact that it's cannon fodder for a teen driver. But I've read that CUV's have gotten better since 2003.
Don't get me wrong, there are good examples. CRV and RAV4 sell well for a reason. I'm thinking more about smaller ones than that even. Trax, HRV, Ecosport, CHR. Vehicles that really have no benefit over anything else.

I think height for storage is vastly over valued. How often do you stack things to the ceiling in a small SUV? Of course it will vary person to person but for me that's basically a never.

Don't get me wrong, there are good examples. CRV and RAV4 sell well for a reason. I'm thinking more about smaller ones than that even. Trax, HRV, Ecosport, CHR. Vehicles that really have no benefit over anything else.
Those do seem to be a bit out there. Too small and limited. Nice to have choices but that's a choice I don't need.

I think height for storage is vastly over valued. How often do you stack things to the ceiling in a small SUV? Of course it will vary person to person but for me that's basically a never.
Every weekend when I take trashcans to the dump/transfer station. :) It's not quite stacked to the ceiling but the standard trashcan is pretty tall. I haven't moved in a while but I sure do recall filling my wagon to the brim more than a few times with boxes when either moving homes or just moving stuff. Does seem less often now. That's why I finally gave in and downsized out of my truck, too little work for it and I can tow a trailer with almost anything (although I think I downsized too much and miss the capacity of the truck now!).

I don't know why it always has to be this or that, never both. I love our CUVs...ride height, hatch etc. But i also love the looks of that Genesis wagon. It's efficient packaging and sporty (assuming drive-train carryovers from the sedans). Everything posted on this site lately turns into a battle. Like we're brake-dancing against each other or something. No, really.

Back