generators and hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are so many people worried about having a generator for a hurricane? Most people evacuate for a hurricane and they aren't going to let you back into your city until they have power lines and that kind of thing are back together. They aren't going to let you come back when they're lying across the road. I've been through hurricanes before and unless you actually stay home for it I don't see the need for it. The last hurricane we had they wouldn't let people come back for three days. We stayed home though.

We stayed home for Rita as well - no place to go really. We had a generator to run the fridge - our son is diabetic and the insulin needs to stay cold. I did like the, "We shoot looters" sign that someone put up at the entrance to development.

Location specific, but here we were without power during Sandy for 5 days, after being without power the year before for a massive late October snow storm for 5 days. Occurrences like that had been rare in the past, I can't recall being without power for 5 days, and it meant no running water for those with wells, now power to the fridge, no heat (relatively cold here in October overnight).

Helped a friend in Fl setup a automatic propane genset few years ago. Power was out for a over a week and would have lost all her flooring, food in the freezer etc . The investment kept fresh water for the livestock flowing, the sump pumps running and food cold. The shepherd kept the riff raff away.

It's really just common sense and being prepared. Not only for hurricanes (none here in Iowa) but there are times when we'll loose power, and keeping the refrigerator and freezer running in the summer are important. Same with winter-try loosing your electricity for a few days when it's zero or below out, and you'll quickly appreciate a whole house generator. Loose power in the summer for a day or two when you have a thousand dollars or more of product in the freezer and you'll appreciate a whole house generator.

Being prepared is something every responsible homeowner should practice.

I live in the same area as the OP. To each his own but I wouldn't be without a generator. Even a small portable inverter type can be useful.
Stay or go I have been glad of my generator during any major storm event that has affected us. We evacuated for one hurricane and it was an excercise in foolishness I won't soon repeat. They let us back in the day after.
My experience is that while many evacuate many stay. Especially in as broad an area in which we live. Much of the Houston metro area is safe during a hurricane but high winds and flooding will take out the power and make cleanup difficult.
I have a large portable that can power the entire house through a generator interlock and can run off of natural gas or gasoline. Natural gas is a good choice because it is the most reliable of public utilities and gasoline can be scarce during storm events. I would suggest the smallest most efficient generator that meets your minimum emergency needs if your going to plan on running gasoline.
I also made sure the generator I bought had enough ceiling to allow me to run a few extension cords to neighbors if necessary so they can keep their fridge/freezers and few vitals running. It hasn't always been necessary but a good neighbor policy means zero complaints about noise and it's a nice thing to do.

I've gone more than a week without electricity before. I was inconvenient, but I managed to live. The hardest part was having to drink warm drinks. There was no ice to be had anywhere. People today are big babies.

After Ike, my dad/stepmom and family (in the Houston area) were without power for about 10 days. They're on well water, so without power they would have been without water too.

They hooked their generator into the main breaker box, so they were able to run the washing machine, well, freezer, charge the cell phones, and run a few other essentials during the day, shutting the generator off at night. I believe they were using about 5 gallons of gasoline a day. They came close to exhausting their drum of fuel, and at the time, good luck buying gasoline within 60 miles. Many of the stations didn't have power, and the ones that did were sold out of gasoline. I made a fuel run down from DFW on day 7 (I think I brought 40 gallons).

Interestingly, my dad's work regained power at about day 3, so he was working his normal schedule every day.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I've gone more than a week without electricity before. I was inconvenient, but I managed to live. The hardest part was having to drink warm drinks. There was no ice to be had anywhere. People today are big babies.

Mostly just unprepared and demanding someone think for them. What's the cost of a few gallons of water? Some canned stew and soup, crackers? For around $2 a day per person one does not need to have someone deliver food to you.

People with well water and septic pumps can't flush toilets. That's an issue.

Food will also go bad in time.

Any heating system has some electric need; even if not electric heat/forced air, there still are water pumps for hydronic systems, etc.

I'm not a proponent of some massive generator capable of running all creature comforts... but a small one to at least run the basics time to time is useful.

RE evacuating:
I lived in Houston during Rita, and I evacuated. Took me 4.5 hours to go 60 miles. Between people running out of gas and cars overheating, I'd never seen so many vehicles dead on the side of the road. That wasn't a fun day. Then, the storm turned and didn't impact my area at all.

I knew a guy who lived in the impacted area, between Houston and the Louisiana border. He was without power for two weeks, IIRC. He had a generator, many of his neighbors did not. From his stories, he ended up having to help out a lot of his neighbors who were less prepared.

I have a genset too, but my reason is for what no one has mentioned here. There is a strong possibility that hackers could bring down the entire grid for a very long time period. Think about who might want to do this and the list is very long: terrorists, North Korea, Russia, homegrown jihadists, etc.

Not to be an alarmist but being prepared to care for yourself and not depend on others is the only way to being ready.

I can remember many years ago when the entire mid to northeast section of the country went dark because of a single transmission tower failure. If I recall correctly, we were only dark for several hours, but that incident left an impression on me that the grid could be brought down easily by taking out a few strategic towers across the country.

Have a plan, be prepared, and shelter in place - but be ready to move if needed. Wouldn't hurt to have some cash on hand (small bills) to buy gasoline (ATM's will be down too!), food and water supply, and don't forget your ammo just in case.

Hope it doesn't happen- ready if it does,

757Guy

Most people can barely take care of themselves as it is. Take away their utilities and daily routine and they'll freak out.

It's hilarious when the power goes out in my area. People don't know what to do. They just stand on their porches and look around like some higher power is going to come down from the gods and rescue them at any moment.

Also to the guy above about heat sources needing electricity - not true. A gas insert fireplace can run all day long without electric. Also, gas stoves and ovens can cook food all day long without power. Well pumps can be hooked up to a generator or a car's power inverter in a dire emergency. Meats will go bad, but if you prepare a few days in advance with foods that won't spoil you can technically last weeks without any power. Most people can't fathom this happening, however.

We got hit my a major ice storm a few years ago in NY. The entire neighborhood was out of power for three days sometime in January. We were OK for the most part save for the lack of a well pump.

But across the street lived our neighbor the electrician, the guy with the V8-powered generator he had built into a special shed in his back yard for just such an occasion. Our neighborhood was like North Korea at night with his house lit up like Pyongyang.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
We got hit my a major ice storm a few years ago in NY. The entire neighborhood was out of power for three days sometime in January. We were OK for the most part save for the lack of a well pump.

But across the street lived our neighbor the electrician, the guy with the V8-powered generator he had built into a special shed in his back yard for just such an occasion. Our neighborhood was like North Korea at night with his house lit up like Pyongyang.

I'd love to see that V8 generator.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Try it with no running water then you may decide otherwise. No running water(well pump) is beyond difficult to live for a week and honestly a day. I work 100% from home and generators are PITA and very noisy. I got a UPS to backup my internet modem/router so I am work (laptop) 6hrs before it shutdown and I need to drag out and setup generator. Typically by then toilets are gross and sink is piled with dishes beyond the $300 in food likely getting spoiled.

Pull start my 6800watt/8500 peak generator and I can run near everything in home except oven.

3 years ago an ice storm hit our area and my neighborhood was totally dark for 4 days from downed trees. My family didn't miss a beat. With NG heat and a portable hard wired generator, we were warm and toasty, well fed, and entertained by watching TV or the WWW. The upright freezer in the basement kept the food frozen that I would have lost otherwise. I would occasionally turn on the outside flood lights....because I could.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Why are so many people worried about having a generator for a hurricane? Most people evacuate for a hurricane and they aren't going to let you back into your city until they have power lines and that kind of thing are back together. They aren't going to let you come back when they're lying across the road. I've been through hurricanes before and unless you actually stay home for it I don't see the need for it. The last hurricane we had they wouldn't let people come back for three days. We stayed home though.

I think you answered your own question with your last sentence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back