Generator muffler glowing orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found something similar to this topic, but they really never answered the question. I have a 10hp OHV Briggs stratton Coleman 5500 generator. I took it camping this weekend and Iam drinking my beer and notice that the muffler is glowing orange,just on top where the head pipe enters it. The generator is running fine, no missing, starts first pull. Now it has stickers all over it claiming it runs lean for California emmissions and passes all these clean air acts and such(I got in a trade for a shotgun) anyway. Iam wandering is this supposed to run hot to burn off emmisions or what. I have had the generator awhile and it might have been doing it awhile and I never noticed. My first guess was that my cocoktions of Marvel mystery oil, stabil, sea foam, Shell 93, 32:1 premix(if its leftover and smells like gas it goes in the generator, may have created a jet fuel type mix. Anyone else every have this?

It's possible that the fuel mix slowed the burn down enough that the fuel was still burning or extremely hot when leaving the cylinder, causing the glowing muffler. Check the timing and try some fresh gas and see what happens.

The funny thing is, burning lean will probably net you a little less fuel consumption, at the expense of increased NOX emssions. The whole point of EGR systems is to reduce the adiabatic flame front temp (combustion temps) where-in NOX is formed. Maybe they've looked at it in a different light and concluded that hotter-exhaust emssions aren't quite as bad as cooler-exhaust emissions. I doubt it...

How do you call it camping if you bring along a generator and modern conveniences?

There should be a glowing red fire, maybe a coleman lantern at best...

Glowing orange? Sounds pretty awesome to me!
thumbsup2.gif

Were you looking at it in the dark? That makes it more noticable.

And yeah, the MMO and other oily stuff might take longer to combust and thus raise the EGT some. But, all things considered, hot exhaust manifolds are not uncommon. I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe next time you could toast marshmallows on it!
cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Glowing orange? Sounds pretty awesome to me!
thumbsup2.gif

Maybe next time you could toast marshmallows on it!
cheers3.gif
cheers3.gif

Best post!

My coleman 4400 8hp does the exact same thing. Just think of it as an afterburner. Sometimes, you can see it blowing very small, light colored flames out of the holes. The heat just completes combustion of any partially-spent fuel leaving the cylinder. It's green.

My Dad's old sailboat had a 1971 Evinrude outboard that called for 93 unleaded. It ran like junk on 87, and better on 93.

Try it again in the daytime.

Well, I took the muffler off and beat it and got no carbon out of it, took the carb off and cleaned it and checked the float, there was plenty of gas in it, I drained the gas out and put fresh(un-molested without any additives) started up and it got glowing orange again in about 5 minutes. What gets me, is the exhaust pipe coming out of the manifold, itself isnt getting cherry red, its the muffler and its only on one spot, the head pipe comes out into the muffler and makes a 90 to the bottom where the exhaust outlet is, its that point that the head pipe flow hits the back of the muffler before it goes down that makes a pretty much perfect orange round spot on the back of the muffler. It doesnt seem to be running hot(I cant smell it burning) It does give a little puff of blue flame when you shut it off other than that no smoke or sign of sparks coming out of the exhaust outlet. I am beginning to think its normal, and if I wouldnt have seen it, I never would have messed with it. I will just give it about 50" of cord, so it is away from anything, incase it explodes.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How do you call it camping if you bring along a generator and modern conveniences?

There should be a glowing red fire, maybe a coleman lantern at best...
Well, actually it was a ATV park, and I did have a campfire, but I slept in a trailer on a air mattress. I was basically there to ride atvs and drink beer so generators are legal and "camping" was a general statement.

Running hot increase NOx so it wouldn't pass California emissions. It's probably running lean or has a lot of carbon. Carbon can be seen through the spark plug hole. Lean can be caused by partially plugged passages. Clean the carb and keep the MMO running through it.

All of my exhausts run 600*F-700*F by the non contact thermometer including an old 16HP Montgomery Wards Gilson Tractor. It used to run really hot until I cleaned all the water out of the float, adjusted it, and ran some additives through it.

My Honda 6500 genny muffler would glow at times. It is actually rated 5500 watts sustained, but for 30 mins you can max it out at 6500, like when I ran a 4500 watt water heater on top of other appliances. Only when I did that it the muffler would turn a dark cherry red.

Glowing exhaust is normal. I wouldn't be taking anything apart to try to correct it.

I recall one occasion, years ago, when I had been out hunting on my old 1987 Suzuki LTF4WD atv. I had traveled through a fair amount of swamp then made it back to the gravel road for an eight mile or so high speed run home. After five miles or so, I began to smell smoke. I pulled the machine over to find burning swamp grass and bull rushes that were packed in around the engine. I put the fire out with the only source of suitable fluid I had. I pee'd it out.

The exhaust pipe was the source of ignition.

don't the newer small engines that meet emissions have a small catalyst in the muffler??? If so, that section will get HOT as it burns off the extra unspent traces of fuel.

also, if it does, I certainly would NOT run any mix in the fuel...

M

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
don't the newer small engines that meet emissions have a small catalyst in the muffler??? If so, that section will get HOT as it burns off the extra unspent traces of fuel.

also, if it does, I certainly would NOT run any mix in the fuel...

M

I thought that was for california emissions only OPE. My craftsman with Briggs 675 has several sticks loudly exclaiming "NOT FOR SALE IN STATE OF CALIFORNIA!!!!!" on it.

My three year old Echo CS346 chainsaw had a catalytic converter. Note, I said "had". I eliminated it and the carburetor adjustment restrictions. I gained a noticeable improvement in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back