General Tire's "VAI"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Visual alignment indicators extend the life of the tire by allowing users to identify vehicle misalignment."

I have these tires. I put a set of struts on the car, so I want to monitor the alignment. Is this gimmickry? I can't figure where the alleged alignment indicators are or how this works.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=13&cs=175

genht2.xl.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nayov
"Visual alignment indicators extend the life of the tire by allowing users to identify vehicle misalignment."

I have these tires. I put a set of struts on the car, so I want to monitor the alignment. Is this gimmickry?

Yes, it is.

People who do not maintain their vehicles are never going to get down on their hands and knees and check out the "visual alignment indicators".

People, probably most BITOG readers, who do maintain their vehicles already keep them in alignment. They may even own a tire pyrometer and tread depth gauge.

But it was a cheap modification to the tire mold and gave General something to tout.

The indicator needs to be next to the "guess what you have no oil in the crankcase" light.

It may be helpful, however, to those who bring their cars in for regular service, assuming the tech is trained to look for the indicators.

Last edited:
Thanks Duckryder. I see how it works and only on new ones which is fortuitous because they were new just before I did the strut job. Sounds like a useful feature and may save the cost of an alignment. I wouldn't put it in the "idiot light" category.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
I wouldn't put it in the "idiot light" category.

Agreed. An idiot light doesn't require getting down on your hands and knees.

It's not a tool for the consumer. It's a tool for the General Tire dealer to use with Mrs. Soccer Mom.

"You see ma'am, it shows you right here that you need to buy my $90 alignment."

I like the tire replacement indicator even better where a word wears off leaving the message, "replace tire".

"You see ma'am..."

Get it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back