general oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I was hanging out with dad today (dont get to do that as much as I want) and the topic shifted to cars, and he told me about a question he had about his car. (2011? Mazda 2) The car has a factory recommended OCI of 7500 miles using 0w-20 and I know it could go further but might as well just change it to keep his warranty.

Ok so here is the question. Today we were talking and he told me that at his last oil change the guys at the stealership fed him this line of bull. "yes your car can go 7500 miles per oil change but the filter needs changed at 3-5" I told him that was [censored] and that if he was really concerned he should run a purolator pure one, bosh distance plus or the new purolator synthetic (same as bosch?)

So here is my question. First off thats total [censored] right? Second off was the advice I gave my dad correct? Third Why arent I changing his oil for him? he told me he is paying 80 per change at the stealership. Ive gotten so much better and faster at oil changes I think its silly not to.

Lastly I told him that he should get a UOA done (just for laughs) and take it in because they pulled the "your oil is really dirty" [censored] on him. and AFAIK you cant tell whats going on inside an engine by looking at oil with the naked eye. so i told him to get a UOA and take the results back to them and ask them to explain themselves.

Thanks
Sean Scott

I change my car oil at 7500 mi. I only use oil filters that are rated for extended oci I use Bosch distance plus. I would not use a standard filter for extended oci. yes u should be changing his oil 80.00 is ridicously high you can save him a lot of money and do it better also. A UOA would be a good idea. Use high quality synthetic oil and good quality extended oci filters and u will be fine.

A UOA is always a good thing. The dealer will not know what it is however. Any decent filter can go 7500. If the manufacturer's filter cannot go 7500 and they recommend that OCI, they have a problem. Cut open the filter to see. Father Day is not too far off. Get Dad a oil filter cutter for $50. Or a couple of UOA test kits.

+1 on spending quality time with your Dad (or Mom).

There isn't much to filter in a new/clean engine, any filter even the cheap house brand can do 7-10k miles. Only in a sludge up engine then the filter is needed to change at 1-2k miles while doing the cleaning.

Most any brand name filter (PureOne, Wix/Napa Gold, MC to name a few) will easly go 7,500 miles in a good engine. Hundreds of UOAs on this site prove it.

See page 235 of the Mazda owner's manual, and note that the factory Scheduled Maintenance is the same for both oil and filter, replace at 7,500 miles, for USA.
However, If your father moves to Puerto Rico, then the dealer would be correct for the filter, but incorrect for oil.
page 234 "Canada and Puerto Rico residents follow Schedule 2" oil and filter change at 3,000 miles Puerto Rico, 5,000 mile Canada.
https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2011_Mazda2_OM.pdf

1999 Olds GLS

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There isn't much to filter in a new/clean engine, any filter even the cheap house brand can do 7-10k miles. Only in a sludge up engine then the filter is needed to change at 1-2k miles while doing the cleaning.

This.^

Modern fuel injected engines run cleaner than the old carburetor ones, and modern Group II based conventional motor oils don't break down near as fast a the old Group I based oils from years ago.

My 1987 Jetta 1.8 (gas) service schedule (from the maintenance manual) is 7500 mile (12,000km) oil changes with a oil filter change scheduled every other oil change. So, My Jetta service schedule is 15K miles for the oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back