General Motors investing $854 million to build V8 engines amid EV shift

Ford trucks sales. V-8 vs v-6
Twin turbos compensate for a large number of cubic inches. My 213ci engine (even stock!) makes more torque (3+ lb-ft per cubic inch on pump fuel and a tune) than any factory mass-market 427 cubic inch engine ever had. Turned up, the torque is greater than even several stroked & poked non-power-adder BBCs. Seems like they’re a pretty good replacement for displacement, especially when you consider fuel mileage 😉
Going back to GM, they have blown by the V-6 and now it’s a Turbo 2.7 inline 4, with no V-6 even available. The other light duty is a 5.3 V-8. Apparently there will be the 6.2 gas and a 3.0 Duramax diesel available.

For the Heavy Duty pickups, there is nothing but a 6.6 gas V-8 and a 6.6 Turbo Diesel. I guess they don’t want a turbo gas engine in the HD line.

My guess is they are going to have a 7.4 which is equal to 454 cubic inches.

DCD62302-0617-4263-8990-2B31F744D414.png
42FB6A7A-44AB-4413-A68B-74C36E215AD7.png

Last edited:
The 5.3 is always scoffed by Ford guys, but it's the wrong comparison. The 5.3 is just a comfortable engine for guys who want a reliable v8, it's not the performance option.
Agree! The GM 5.3 should be compared to the Ford 5.4 and the GM 4.8 to the Ford 4.6. Those were the engines in use in prime time and at the same time for both makers.

Agree! The GM 5.3 should be compared to the Ford 5.4 and the GM 4.8 to the Ford 4.6. Those were the engines in use in prime time and at the same time for both makers.
A 5.3L Plain Jane Camaro with a 6L80E and electronic locker diff would make a good highschool drag car. A 12.0 is the fastest HS cars are allowed to go so there would be no need to strip it down. It might do a 13.5 with tires??
Who wants a 2L 4 cyl Camaro?

A 5.3L Plain Jane Camaro with a 6L80E and electronic locker diff would make a good highschool drag car. A 12.0 is the fastest HS cars are allowed to go so there would be no need to strip it down. It might do a 13.5 with tires??
Who wants a 2L 4 cyl Camaro?
Nothing wrong with the 5.3L; I had one in a 2003 Tahoe and have had a 2V 5.4L and a 3V 5.4L. The point I was making is that it is being compared to the wrong engine family within Ford.

Still boring by comparison, unless you find hearing tire/road noise louder than you've ever experienced in any car in your life exhilarating.
Why would tire/road noise be louder? It should be the same as before, unless if you buy louder tires or remove sound deadner.

I would be quite happy is all I heard was tire noise. It means less total noise hitting my ears. More silence. More peaceful.

Noise is helpful for the person crossing the street a block away while the driver in their EV is doing their 0-60 run.
Yeah, I dislike the low speed noise that our hybrid makes while in EV mode (or just engine off, while moving). I understand why it does it, and it's not that bad, but it's still kinda annoying.

I still recall being blown away when we first got the car, we'd be driving on a backroad, 30mph, windows up, talking--and hearing crickets and birds outside. To me, that's what I want in my next car! [Won't get it of course, but if I had the money...]

Still boring by comparison, unless you find hearing tire/road noise louder than you've ever experienced in any car in your life exhilarating.
Yea-sure, even the $100,000plus Polestars are that way. You obviously have no or limited first hand knowledge.

I agree that a lot of this dough will go towards getting the hybrid technology applied correctly. Since trucks are heavy, conserving the energy from braking and reapplying it to acceleration makes a lot of sense. So far I sense the hybrid option in trucks has been a bit hokey. It begs for an improvement.
And here we go. What’s good for the 2024 Corvette is good for pickups. :LOL:

6DEDD6A8-3154-4D20-A272-8E00A473806C.jpg

Thermal efficiency usually favors bigger displacement engines. Most of you are confusing fuel consumption with efficiency, these are two different things.
For real work applications, these big displacement engines make total sense. Which is probably the goal here. I’m sure GM will still have smaller, turbocharged options for light duty applications too.

Also, pushrods are quite neat, especially for lower rev applications, not sure why so many get all excited about DOHC setups, thinking these are some high tech solutions and better than pushrods. All engineering solutions have their strengths and weaknesses.

Back