General Motors has discovered a new source of income: fixing people's Teslas.

You sound like one of those "patriotic" Americans who have a problem with saving American jobs. Some of us live and work in Michigan, and love this country. By the way, the Feds got the "bail out" money back with a profit.
Don’t forget, the only reason the Japanese have plants in the US is tariffs. However, the government gave Toyota, Honda and Subaru very generous tax breaks to build and expand in the US. Else, Toyota is able to supply the world from Japan and Thailand(especially since Toyota doesn’t build in Australia anymore - their Thai operations builds for the APAC market). ditto with Honda and Subaru.

Toyota did threaten their Kentucky plant that their Japanese and Thai plants around Toyota City, Aichi and outside of Bangkok can build a Camry better and $20 cheaper per car.

Don’t forget, the only reason the Japanese have plants in the US is tariffs. However, the government gave Toyota, Honda and Subaru very generous tax breaks to build and expand in the US. Else, Toyota is able to supply the world from Japan and Thailand(especially since Toyota doesn’t build in Australia anymore - their Thai operations builds for the APAC market). ditto with Honda and Subaru.

Toyota did threaten their Kentucky plant that their Japanese and Thai plants around Toyota City, Aichi and outside of Bangkok can build a Camry better and $20 cheaper per car.
Aside from discussions on socioeconomics - it’s a bad idea to run more and more massive car haulers that burn the nastier fuels on the high seas - (they also add to water/coastal pollution ) …
At some point we need to solve immigration problems with local jobs as well …

The article leaves a lot to the imagination. To my imagination it says maybe Tesla isn't as great as some people think they are.

Here’s a bit of a parts list.

388FE136-E6C6-4504-ABA5-4BC95BB956BF.jpg
708AC8B6-E47E-4443-A97A-A7277CE60167.jpg
3AFFCB91-6BC4-42FC-9CBB-35D51A29C07A.jpg

You sound like one of those "patriotic" Americans who have a problem with saving American jobs. Some of us live and work in Michigan, and love this country. By the way, the Feds got the "bail out" money back with a profit.
Thats an inconvenient truth and we know doesn’t fit the narrative of some of these misleading posts.
Not only did GM pay it back, but paid it ahead of time. One of the few acts of Congress that actually benefited hard working people and our country in general.

In 2021 GM paid paid darn close to 2 billion dollars in USA income taxes.
In 2021 Tesla paid no USA income taxes.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, people who made "too much" money didn't get those stimulus checks. And people who made "too much" money likely paid more in taxes than the people who made "just enough" money to get a stimulus check.
Yep, I didn't get any tax breaks during the last round of tax breaks - those who provide "professional services" were excluded and I didn't get any stimulus checks. I did get PPP forgiveness but was forced to shut down completely for 3-months and then forced to limit business for the next 18 months. We did not lay off any employees and we kept paychecks and benefits going.

Thank the politicians for bailing out poorly run corporations.
Unfortunately those corporations going down would have
Funny thing is, people who made "too much" money didn't get those stimulus checks. And people who made "too much" money likely paid more in taxes than the people who made "just enough" money to get a stimulus check.
Most people who made too much money and were hurt by recent years could apply for PPE loans since forgiven.

Stimulus motivated so many hardworking folks I know to take courses / certification to move on from their service industry jobs. Left a terrible gap in help now but so proud of the waitress or bartender turned into tech worker with a decent career path.

Aside from discussions on socioeconomics - it’s a bad idea to run more and more massive car haulers that burn the nastier fuels on the high seas - (they also add to water/coastal pollution ) …
Yep - CA’s fishing industry is under siege from mitten crabs and quagga mussels carried in the ballast of ships. But those things have made their way into the Delta and even as far up as Bishop and the Sierras. The air quality in West Oakland/Pt. Humene/Ventura and Terminal Island/Wilmington/Long Beach is bad enough from bunker fuel already.

Reactions: 4WD
Thats an inconvenient truth and we know doesn’t fit the narrative of some of these misleading posts.
Not only did GM pay it back, but paid it ahead of time. One of the few acts of Congress that actually benefited hard working people and our country in general.

Tesla reported $5.5B in profit in 2021. Those profits were from operations overseas; US operations reported a loss. Tesla is 100% in compliance with the tax code, which is full of exemptions for multi-billion corporations.
You understand this is a common business practice. Perhaps your arguement is with the Federal Tax Code.

Please let me know how the govermint got the money. There are 2 ways that I am aware of, 1. Magically make it 2. Taxes
1. Answer, the government got the money by taking out a loan and adding to the national debt
2. GM actually paid back that money, with interest, ahead of time
3. GM actually pays corporate income taxes, almost 2 billion in 2021
4. Tesla has greatly benefited by government (taxpayer) programs to promote Electric vehicles among wealthy people.
Tesla paid $0 in corporate income taxes 2021.

Im not promoting anything, I just hate incorrect and misinformation. Its takes on a life of its own on the internet.
As a people this is what we vote for and that is all good, but lets stop singling out companies for taking advantage of money that people vote to give them, including buyers of expensive Tesla cars (in the past) and solar panels.

Last edited:
Tesla reported $5.5B in profit in 2021. Those profits were from operations overseas; US operations reported a loss. Tesla is 100% in compliance with the tax code, which is full of exemptions for multi-billion corporations.
You understand this is a common business practice. Perhaps your arguement is with the Federal Tax Code.
I dont have an argument? Where do you see that in any of my posts?
I just printed the truth about the US income tax that the companies being discussed here paid.
1. GM paid 2 billion in US income tax 2021
2. Tesla paid $0 in US income tax 2021

How to you come up with me having an argument? Are you taking it as me telling the truth as an argument?
I would suggest that is coming from you. How can that be any other way? I just presented a fact and you're spinning it into me being bothered by tax code?

I dont have an argument? Where do you see that in any of my posts?
I just printed the truth about the US income tax that the companies being discussed here paid.
1. GM paid 2 billion in US income tax 2021
2. Tesla paid $0 in US income tax 2021

How to you come up with me having an argument? Are you taking it as me telling the truth as an argument?
I would suggest that is coming from you. How can that be any other way? I just presented a fact and you're spinning it into me being bothered by tax code?
@alarmguy I did not mean arguement in a negative way. My point is simple: Tesla is not doing anything any other company can do.
Also, I think there is more to the GM Tarp payback than meets the eye. Taxpayers to the rescue!

Since this has already gone political.... I didn't want free money. Those stimulus checks are not free, I already paid for them with my taxes. It was a refund on a small part of the taxes I already paid. So for me to send back my "free" money would be voluntarily sending in additional taxes to the gubmint. Tired of people making this ridiculous statement.
I would assume that most stimulus money was spent, or will need to be spent, on the huge inflationary run up of the last year or so. Or, JUST MAYBE, it was the CAUSE of the run up…

It's a mixed story because the traditional bankruptcy pays BONDHOLDERS first and the GM and Chrysler deals did no such thing. So all those teacher pension funds that had automaker bonds in their portfolios were put later in the line compared to how things are done when DC doesn't step in and pick favorites.

Sure, the GOVERNMENT loans were paid back. What about the bondholders who were supposed to be first in line during a bankruptcy?

So a very mixed bag.

The reason people buy bonds is because they pay less, but have a place at the head of the line when a bankruptcy is sorted out. So the bondholders get the shaft in this special deal.

What you say is correct, but misses (glosses over) key facts in the deal.
Bankruptcy is a scary word. Yet if the automakers had value, their debt would have been restructured and they go about the business of building cars.
Instead, "new" companies were made, by government fiat so that politicians (on both sides of the aisle) can look like they are doing something and claim victory, and the automakers and the UAW get a sweetheart deal.

Meanwhile, bondholders, who should have been at or near the head of the line get the shaft.

A very mixed outcome.
Not the victory that politicians would have you believe.

But sure, the loans were repaid. That part is true, yet a very small part of the overall picture.

It's a mixed story because the traditional bankruptcy pays BONDHOLDERS first and the GM and Chrysler deals did no such thing. So all those teacher pension funds that had automaker bonds in their portfolios were put later in the line compared to how things are done when DC doesn't step in and pick favorites.

Sure, the GOVERNMENT loans were paid back. What about the bondholders who were supposed to be first in line during a bankruptcy?

So a very mixed bag.

The reason people buy bonds is because they pay less, but have a place at the head of the line when a bankruptcy is sorted out. So the bondholders get the shaft in this special deal.

What you say is correct, but misses (glosses over) key facts in the deal.
Bankruptcy is a scary word. Yet if the automakers had value, their debt would have been restructured and they go about the business of building cars.
Instead, "new" companies were made, by government fiat so that politicians (on both sides of the aisle) can look like they are doing something and claim victory, and the automakers and the UAW get a sweetheart deal.

Meanwhile, bondholders, who should have been at or near the head of the line get the shaft.

A very mixed outcome.
Not the victory that politicians would have you believe.

But sure, the loans were repaid. That part is true, yet a very small part of the overall picture.
"Too big to fail."

oh here we go again the thread and politics of signaling out companies for government help. Well it's certainly helping Tesla owners.

I wonder how many people in this forum told Washington to not send them THOUSANDS of dollars in "free" money during the pandemic and economic downturns.
Gotta love one sided arguments all the time. Maybe back then we should have just given in and turned the whole auto industry over to other countries? Oh but wait, those other countries were given a free ride and VERY attractive trade benefits. Ok, no politics ... just get tired of hearing the same old stuff side tracking threads off the subject and so slanted void of facts. Cant have a car discussion in here without this one sided stuff coming up.

Anyone who doesnt agree, add up your stimulus checks and give it to charity.
I didn't want a stimulus, still don't. Just lower my taxes. Don't send me back a small share of the money that was already taken from me.

Back