General Grabber AT2, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, was looking at this tire. It may be too new for anyone to have much experience with it. While in college, years ago, I saw more bad General tires than any other brand, i.e. seperated cords. But I may be willing to give them a shot, it is a cool looking tire.

Dont bother they are still the same crappy tires from your college days
thumbsdown.gif

RH+G, no offense but without any personal experience with these tires, your statement means nothing.

The Grabber AT2 is a great tire. Over on JeepsUnlimited, it is known to be a low cost alternative to the BFG AT KO. I have heard no stories of problems with the tires. I hear they are great off road, quiet on road and give great all season traction. It has a Severe Weather Rating, just like the BFG AT KO. I remember reading somewhere that they are just relabeled Continental Tires that are made in Europe.

The Grabbers are good. According to TireRack, the RVxts are good tires. Infact, all tires are great. You can't go wrong with any of them. I still love my BFGs, despite the lower rankings.

Jeep: I stayed away from that response but was thinking the same thing.

Unless you ADD some details, the response is useless.

I am currently looking to replace the tires on my 04 Tacoma. So far the options are Firestone AT, Dunlop RVxt's, and Grabber 2's. Tire Rack has some pretty good reviews on this one by they just now got a picture in place. I am a pretty loyal Goodyear fan (can buy the Dumlops at my Goodyear dealr) but the cost and warranty is leaning me toward the Grabber.

Should someone buy these, please post a good review.

I like the look of the RVXT's too. But I was scared off the RVXTs by reports of tires having trouble balancing and tires being out of round. And that Dunlop has not resolved this problem that goes back many years to older designs that use the same carcass. My off road friends have experienced this as well as hearing reports on message boards.

My last set of tires on my Ranger were BFG AT's and I loved them. But they cost too much and I can't justify that cost right now. I'm looking at getting a 235-70-16.

I understand. Have you tried looking at Sams? I got my 30X9.5X15s for 100 a pop, which is cheap for BFGs.

A low cost but good tire to find is the Cooper Discoverer A/T or the new ATR. I've driven vehicles with the tires and they are amazing. Very quiet too. The Aussies swear by them.

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:
I like the look of the RVXT's too. But I was scared off the RVXTs by reports of tires having trouble balancing and tires being out of round. And that Dunlop has not resolved this problem that goes back many years to older designs that use the same carcass. My off road friends have experienced this as well as hearing reports on message boards.

My last set of tires on my Ranger were BFG AT's and I loved them. But they cost too much and I can't justify that cost right now. I'm looking at getting a 235-70-16.

That's funny you mention the balance problem. I had a set of Dunlop SP 9000's in 215-50-17 which wouldn't balance. For more than $900 a set, I expected more. I swapped them for some Eagle F1's and haven't looked back. I had kind of overlooked the balance thing with the RVxt's and am thankful that you brought it back to my attention. Looks like the Grabbers might just be the way to go. I like the look of the Revo's in a 225-70-15 but don't want to pay $700+ for the set.

quote:

RH+G, no offense but without any personal experience with these tires, your statement means nothing.

I work at a tire shop. Generals are poorly made and designed tires. I have seen more Generals seperated than any other company.

Nah. Dunolps tend to be pretty good if you go with their higher end tires

Thr RVXT cost about the same as the General, at least in my size. I wouldn't call that higher end. Those are both cheap tires

Their Mud Rovers, and the RVXT are the ones I heard people having problems with.

I had a set of General Grabbers on the Explorer until last fall. They were decent tires, but did make lots of noise when about 1/2 worn out. Mine said on the sidewall, "Made in Mexico".

I replaced them with BFG A/Ts. Super tire.

If you made me chose between Dunlops and Generals. I would take anything over Generals.

The Generals are a clone of the BFG A/Ts with almost the same tread pattern and 17/32 tread and a 60,000 mile warranty. BFG doesn't offer the warranty. Not to be confused with
Quote:

the same crappy tires from your college days

Have you seen any AT2s with miles on them? Tire Rack's 1st review is from 7/20/05. Did you just graduate from college?

This tire is receiving excellent reviews by people who test and review tires. Its also getting great reviews on tirerack.com. It is low priced and has a 60,000 mile warranty. Its what I'd buy if I was in the market for an AT tire.

I have been eye-balling this tire as well. It seems to have a very BFG ATish tread pattern for a significantly lower price. The few that I have seen on the road recently are marked, "Made in Mexico" if that matters to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back