General Altimax RT43 Sidewall Issues

Good morning! I purchased 4 Altimax RT43 back in November, and in early December I noticed the tires have some “peeling” rubber along the bottom of the sidewall treads, to varying degrees on all of them. You can see it a tiny bit on the wall of the tire as well in one of the photos.

3 of the tires were produced in July 2020 (2820) and June (2520). I have about 1200 miles on them. A gentleman on another board had suggested it is likely due to an error in when the tire was released from the mold. Seems to make sense, however, considering that they were produced in different months makes me question that. I run these at 36 PSI, lowest they ever ran was around 32 PSI for a week or so when the temperature dropped. I’ve seen the Altimax discussed quite a bit on this forum and wanted to see if anyone has this experience with this tire — right now it’s not a big deal to me but I am starting to get concerned about longevity. I emailed General as well. Photos attached.

Thank you!

Attachments

• C4DA3EC5-80BE-4B9E-8E78-4E0FE233F5DB.jpeg
    C4DA3EC5-80BE-4B9E-8E78-4E0FE233F5DB.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 360
  • B08E25CF-4745-4BAE-8152-8C03504DD8F3.jpeg
    B08E25CF-4745-4BAE-8152-8C03504DD8F3.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 361
  • BB25E220-B322-4F21-80FB-39FB9F5D86B3.jpeg
    BB25E220-B322-4F21-80FB-39FB9F5D86B3.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 358
I would agree with the other gentleman. This looks like a mold release issue. Could they be a bit more careful and use more mold release agent? Probably. But this is cosmetic and not detrimental to the tire. I would run them and not worry at all.

I would agree with the other gentleman. This looks like a mold release issue. Could they be a bit more careful and use more mold release agent? Probably. But this is cosmetic and not detrimental to the tire. I would run them and not worry at all.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, these aren’t expensive tires and I understand quality control can vary. I think because I never noticed it when they were new made me worry it had developed in time, but it’s not like I was looking for it.

The General RT43s are a favorite on this board, for good reasons. Like others have said its purely a cosmetic issue. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

I did look at my set manufactured 3917 in Ecuador and they don't show that. I too believe it's cosmetic but you were right to send pics to General and ask anyhow.

I did look at my set manufactured 3917 in Ecuador and they don't show that. I too believe it's cosmetic but you were right to send pics to General and ask anyhow.
I’m sure it’ll take them a while to get back to me — I couldn’t actually attach photos to my inquiry so that will be the second step. Out of curiosity I went on eBay and looked at a ton of photos of used Altimax and none of them had this cracking, either.

I have a set on my Saab, purchased about last May. None have the same issue. All the edges are sharp. Tire dates are 0120, 4519, 1619. They have ~2K miles now.

Looks like your shocks or struts could be worn out.
What makes you say that based on this? I thought that would result in cupped tires?

Funny you mention it, because I’ve felt that my ride has been a tiny bit bouncy. It’s a 2017 Mazda CX-5, CPO with 32,500 miles. I bought it in November with 31,000 miles. I did the bounce test on the front struts and rear shocks and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Vehicle side to side rock seems like more than it should be though. I was planning on bringing it up on my first service visit.

Here's a video I took a couple weeks back of my rear shocks. Did one bounce and let go, then a couple then let go. There doesn't seem to be any oscillation on the rebound other than the movement of the vehicle on the pawl. Sorry, couldn't get the video to rotate!

One more for good measure. Will be hard to differentiate that “cracking” on the wall from dry rot in the future. Pretty irritating for new tires to look like this.

Attachments

• 6F35D173-A714-429D-ADA0-B0B704EF973F.jpeg
    6F35D173-A714-429D-ADA0-B0B704EF973F.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 130
One more for good measure. Will be hard to differentiate that “cracking” on the wall from dry rot in the future. Pretty irritating for new tires to look like this.
No! It won't be hard.

Look carefully at the photos and you will notice the "scaly" nature of the marks - like something was deposited there in spots. That's exactly what it is, but in reverse.

Now look that this photo:

eb_crackedtyre1.jpg.73f93e31a34a1bd5d64b0e75116f5402.jpg

https://cdn.neow.in/forum/uploads/m...yre1.jpg.73f93e31a34a1bd5d64b0e75116f5402.jpg

Notice how they seem to be going more or less in the same direction, plus the have actual openings.

If you purchased from a reputable tire shop like Discount Tire might be worth taking them in and asking if they could do a replacement. Even if there is only cosmetic issues, it's nice to be confident that your tires were not also built poorly in some other non-visual way.

Sometimes tires like these are sold as 'blems' - short hand for blemished. Cosmetic issue only. However if you paid for perfect tires, you have a chance to argue their replacement.

Glad I decided to finally join this forum after lurking for years — you guys are a wealth of knowledge. Still awaiting a reply from skyactiv with the struts/shock concern :).

I got them from Mavis. I’m going to wait until General responds back to me (probably never) before I go back to them. I think the only thing that truly worries me (warranted or not) is that the bottom of that tread block makes contact with the road if the tires are slightly under inflated, and probably dig in on turns as well. If the already “malformed” edge continues to clip pavement, perhaps it can further deteriorate. But I’ll play the wait and see.

Never thought I’d spend this much time analyzing a tire!

You will most likely hear back from General. I contacted them years ago when I bought a set of Altimax RT tires (the "original" Altimax line.) Their response was not very constructive or supportive, but they did actually reply. My issue was related to light snow performance and the lack thereof. They told me that while the tire was considered an all-season, it was not intended for use in temperatures below 40F, and if I was going to drive in such temperatures to purchase a set of Altimax Arctic tires. Gee, thanks.

You will most likely hear back from General. I contacted them years ago when I bought a set of Altimax RT tires (the "original" Altimax line.) Their response was not very constructive or supportive, but they did actually reply. My issue was related to light snow performance and the lack thereof. They told me that while the tire was considered an all-season, it was not intended for use in temperatures below 40F, and if I was going to drive in such temperatures to purchase a set of Altimax Arctic tires. Gee, thanks.
All Season...winter is a season...gets below 40F. Huh? Well, glad they replied!

Back