General Altimax RT vs Yokohama YK580

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my 2011 Civic sedan. 205/55/16.
They are very similar in price.
I just want a decent riding, quiet tire.
Getting likely one of these 2 installed tomorrow.

Discuss.

Had the Yokohama YK580 on my Equinox. They seem fine for 12,000 miles than became noisy. I never had good luck with the Yokohama TRZ or the YK580. My alignments were good on vehicle, so the noise was coming from tires. As for Traction and Ride, they were pretty good.

I had the General Altimax RT on a 2006 Hyundai Sonata (company car) and they were fantastic. Excellent wear, used them as well in a couple of early and late snowfalls when the winters were not on and they performed very well. Good traction, low noise and decent fuel mileage.
But either way, both tires are a good choice.

Out of those two tires, I'd personally lean more towards the YK580 partially for it's asymmetrical design and also that it uses relatively newer tire technologies compared to some other offerings that Yokohama makes, exclusive tires or not. However, at that price range, I'd consider the Pirelli P4 if it is available in your area or even the Falken Ziex ZE-612 [noticed you're in Canada].

If it is between those two, YK580.

Otherwise I would look hard at the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

I put the Altimax RT on my mom's Sebring. Big mistake, ungodly loud. They perform fine, but the noise is ridiculous.

This is what I have a hard time with when it comes to picking tires.
Every car is made differently, but it seems odd that experiences differ so much.

The price is very similar so I'm fine with either tire, but I just want something that rides well and is not loud. Not having exceptional treadwear doesn't bug me much since I don't drive as much as I used to... Just looking for a nice quiet tire.

Most of the reviews looked good for the RT, most people say it's a quiet tire and I even see some people say "best tire for the price" but then you get some people who hate them.

I am open to other tires too but when I called Discount Tire (Port Huron) they had those 2 in stock in my size, and I won't have time next weekend to go, so I sorta figured I'd just pick one of these 2. I have been eying the RT for a while too.

I have the RT's on my 2008 xB right now and they are about 20K miles into the tire I would guesstimate... Third summer now on them.

They for the most part are pretty quiet, but on certain concrete roads can be very loud. But most of the time, no louder/quieter than others tires I have used on my car. Average really.

I currently have the YK580 on my car and at first was rather indifferent about them, but now that they have some miles on them, they seem to handle better. My experience with them is that they are not a noisy tire as long as you don't exceed the recommended tire pressures for your car by too much.

The old school small town GM dealer I bought my BMW from had put a new set of RTs on the car.
These would not have been my first choice of tire for this car, but they have proven to be very good in use.
This car has never seen snow, so I have no idea how well these tires would deal with it, but I can tell you that they do just fine through standing water.
Dry road grip is good.
They've worn well, and after 35K, they look to be good for 50K minimum on my old BMW.
They don't seem especially noisy, but a four cylinder e36 convertible isn't exactly a quiet car.
I'd go with the Generals, if I paying for the tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

When will it be available? Michelin keeps pushing back the release date.

General Altimax RT and Yokohama YK580 are more expensive than Kumho Ecsta 4X on Discount Tire, the extra bonus is Kumho Ecsta 4X has $50 Visa gift card rebate.

Kumho Ecsta 4X is first place in the latest "Testing Value-Priced Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires" on Tirerack.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=151

No reason to buy either General Altimax RT and Yokohama YK580 other than either may lasted a little longer than Kumho 4X.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
General Altimax RT and Yokohama YK580 are more expensive than Kumho Ecsta 4X on Discount Tire, the extra bonus is Kumho Ecsta 4X has $50 Visa gift card rebate.

Kumho Ecsta 4X is first place in the latest "Testing Value-Priced Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires" on Tirerack.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=151

No reason to buy either General Altimax RT and Yokohama YK580 other than either may lasted a little longer than Kumho 4X.

Well I'm going to Discount tomorrow morning and they don't even list the Ecsta 4x on their site in my size so that's a no go I guess. Also the treadwear is lower, and if I do end up keeping my car I think it would be nicer to have more than a 30K mile tire. Although the tire does look appealing overall!

Discount Tire may not list your size but it is available on Tirerack, Discount Tire Direct and other online tires. Discount Tire should be able to order it.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
For my 2011 Civic sedan. 205/55/16.
They are very similar in price.
I just want a decent riding, quiet tire.
Getting likely one of these 2 installed tomorrow.

Discuss.

WAIT!!! Don't be in such a hurry! You're asking a question on May 17th, stating that you're getting tires on the 18th. Give folks a chance to answer your question.
smile.gif

Either of those tires mentioned would be OK and I think I'd pick(between the two) the General Altimax RT's.

But, you stated that "I just want a decent riding, quiet tire"!!!

Then, you're looking at the wrong tires! Sure, you can get a quiet set of General AltiMax RT's or Yokohama YK580's but, you won't know if they're quiet til you install'em or drive beyond 10K miles.

The Hankook Optimo H727's are the perfect tire and come in your size; 205-55-16. I have them on my daughters Mazda3 in the same size.

The HankOptH727 have a reputation for being very smooth/quiet, handle decent, track straight on the highway and keep their balance very well. Also, the H727's could be better in the foul weather than the others especially on the snow!

A wonderful tire that meets your minimal criteria and more(IMHO) and won't break the bank(even if they cost a bit more money)
smile.gif

Maybe not the optimal tire for a Civic or Mazda 3 but, they certainly meet most folks criteria without being a handling champ. But, the H727's don't suck either in the handling dept. Quite good in fact for normal and "some spirited driving".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: The Critic

When will it be available? Michelin keeps pushing back the release date.

I asked my manager the other day since Michelin says July, usually we get the product codes in the computer a month ahead of time, but they are not in the computer system yet. So I don't think any earlier than July except for the limited production they made for their comparison test drive event when they were announced. And July doesn't mean all sizes listed, perhaps only the most common sizes at first. As soon as I hear something I'll update or create a new thread.

Thanks for the replies everyone... I feel like I need to address Char in his passion for the Hankook 727... haha! I Wanted to buy from Discount, who did not list those tires, and I also wanted to get them installed yesterday because I can't in the next few weeks. I am not your typical BITOG poster, I don't put days or weeks of reading into tires, I just went with something recommended by them and some positive reviews online. Good enough for me.

That being said. I went with the YK580. They gave them to me for the same price as the Altimax RT (a bit less, but not much)

I am happy with them. Nice handling and quiet ride on the 1 hour drive home that day. Long term will tell the true story, but as of right now they are a nice compliant, quiet tire. No complaints. Will post pics later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back