Gen 3 EcoDiesel - Proper oil spec?

Thanks for sharing that. It definitely states differently in the 2021 manual. However, they do use the word “recommended”. If Shell Rotella T6 is what the dealers are using at oil changes, I feel fairly confident that if I were to have a warranty issue and state that’s the oil I’m using, it would be hard to deny that claim since that’s what my authorized dealer is using.
Honestly, it’s oil, it’s full synthetic, it’s for Diesel engines, it’s the right viscosity, how harmful is it really?
This is what my local dealers use, this is what my manual says, this is what I go with.
FTC doesn’t require me to do routine maintenance at a dealership or manufacturer, and it’s protected by law as long as I’m using what is in my owners manual.
If using anything but the specs provided in the 2021 manual were so detrimental to the engine that it was causing issues, I’m sure they would have made that fact very well known and clear to owners, almost like a recall notice.
I just looked through tech specs and owners manual for 2020 and 21 and everywhere states ms-12991. Will T6 work? Sure....is it as good? I have no idea, but seems silly to use the wrong spec as to what is listed. Gen 2 was a time bomb as is, so I sure wouldnt trying to cheap out. SO far I have not seen a gen3 failure....fingers crossed.

Interesting reading here. Useful for my research as the wifey is considering a Jeep Willys Wrangler with the 3.0L EcoDiesel.

The ms12991 spec is the spec for the gen 3 engines at this post. From what I have seen it’s allegedly copied from MB 229.5 (remember Chrysler was MB for a stint) but with lower sulfated ash number

that’s just what I read on a post by someone a while ago and never really seen any Chrysler MS spec parameters on anything

pennzoil euro 5w40 is what is being used where I am at it is ms12991 spec. Rotella T6 5w40 is used on the DS trucks non gen 3

The ms12991 spec is the spec for the gen 3 engines at this post. From what I have seen it’s allegedly copied from MB 229.5 (remember Chrysler was MB for a stint) but with lower sulfated ash number

that’s just what I read on a post by someone a while ago and never really seen any Chrysler MS spec parameters on anything

pennzoil euro 5w40 is what is being used where I am at it is ms12991 spec. Rotella T6 5w40 is used on the DS trucks non gen 3
Your DPF must love that High-SAPS oil.

Dpfs have been fine on standard diesel rotella 15w40 on up to t6 5w40 since 2007 for Ram. And now the ms12991 stuff on the new ones. So perhaps they either don’t know or don’t care about the saps level and dpf concerns

I've never paid much attention to oil specs as long as I'm using a good grade of oil. I'm running oil in my Nissan that was bottled at least 10 years before the car was built. All the oil that I'm using in my vehicles is 15-25 years old and the engines don't know the difference. I've been running 10w40 in engines spec'd for 5w30 for years. One of those engines had over 500K miles on it when I retired the car. Two of my present cars have in excess of 200K miles.

After my stint with a 2006 Liberty CRD and watching all the EcoDiesel issues from the sidelines, reliability would need to be through the roof for a few years before I consider the new one.
Upon further research into the EcoDiesels, I think I’ll do my best to convince her otherwise.

Dpfs have been fine on standard diesel rotella 15w40 on up to t6 5w40 since 2007 for Ram. And now the ms12991 stuff on the new ones. So perhaps they either don’t know or don’t care about the saps level and dpf concerns
Diesel specific fuel has less SAPS. PP Euro is high SAPS gasoline oil. Their stubbornness with this oil while PP Euro L 5W30 is available indicates that it is band aid for certain issue.

An EPA-mandated flash? Really?

Good for you! :)

yep... and now they have an EGR Cooler recall BUT... in order to get the replacement EGR unit, FCA requires the AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) ECM flash, mandated by the EPA, which destroys the engines performance by retarding the timing to the point it's undrivable.

No Thanks!

That's retarded, to say the least.

yep... and now they have an EGR Cooler recall BUT... in order to get the replacement EGR unit, FCA requires the AEM (Approved Emissions Modification) ECM flash, mandated by the EPA, which destroys the engines performance by retarding the timing to the point it's undrivable.

No Thanks!

Back