CP Triton ECT 5w40 Full Syn/ MS-10902 approval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

IMG_2816%5B1%5D.JPG

I have the opportunity to buy a stash of 5w40 Conoco Triton ECT full synthetic and I wanted to make sure it met MS-10902 to run in my new Ecodiesel Ram. I see that it meets API CJ-4 and Cummins CES 20086 requirements but I just wanted to double check the MS-10902 spec as well. CP's website said it recommends it for the Ecodiesel but doesn't list the spec. I know there was some debate if the Cummins requirements were interchangeable and if it met that then it should be good to go. If I can run this oil in my Ram then it will be nice to be able to throw it in my Land Cruiser as well. Conoco is pretty big here in Alaska and we can frequently find good deals on it.

Thanks,

Jay

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well that's great but how much to they want for that stuff?

$8 a gallon for 12 gallons. New unopened from January from a private fleet seller. The price is right but I don't need it if I can't run it in my Ram as well.

What's Chrysler's actual wording these days? Is there actually a lube out there aside from the T6 or the Mopar labelled product that actually has formal FCA approval? The Cummins requirement is supposed to be the same, but as you indicate, it's a bit of a rabbit hole.

Originally Posted By: Garak
What's Chrysler's actual wording these days? Is there actually a lube out there aside from the T6 or the Mopar labelled product that actually has formal FCA approval? The Cummins requirement is supposed to be the same, but as you indicate, it's a bit of a rabbit hole.

When they updated the spec a couple years ago from 30 to 40 wt they basically just said Rotella T6 fixes it. Well, is it just T6? I doubt it and most low ash 40 wt modern full synthetic diesel oils should cover it but I just can’t find the official “approved” list for these engines in the US. As we know, Conoco’s recommendations doesn’t mean anything if it doesn’t meet the spec as I’m not chancing anything under warranty. If it meets it then I’ll have 5-6 oil changes at $20 a pop instead of $100 with this incredibly expensive oil filter.

I emailed ConocoPhillips this weekend so we will see if I get a definitive answer.

Hopefully they'll give you a straight answer. If it were me, I'd think it's okay. It's of the correct viscosity, to be sure, and there are sufficient builder approvals, plus the Cummins one, not to mention it's CJ-4.

Now, the Rotella 5w-30 in my G37 has Cummins 20086 approval, too, but that's another matter.

You're good to go. My 2016 Jeep GC Ecodiesel supplement says 5w40 that meets MS-10902 OR API CJ-4.

Picked up the 12 gallons so I should be good for about 5 oil changes. Cold weather performance should be great and the price was right. No I just have to deal with the expensive filters. I’ll probably go aftermarket for oil but Mopar for fuel since the membrane for water separation is apparently superior to the cheaper alternatives.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Picked up the 12 gallons so I should be good for about 5 oil changes. Cold weather performance should be great and the price was right. No I just have to deal with the expensive filters. I’ll probably go aftermarket for oil but Mopar for fuel since the membrane for water separation is apparently superior to the cheaper alternatives.

I bought AFE filters on Amazon, 4 pack for $62. The Ecodiesel Mopar filters are made in China...

https://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-44-LF03...2088&sr=8-1

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Originally Posted By: jayg

I bought AFE filters on Amazon, 4 pack for $62. The Ecodiesel Mopar filters are made in China...

https://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-44-LF03...2088&sr=8-1

The Mopar fuel filter definitely looks different than the aftermarkets design and that is the one I’m going to stick OEM with. I’ll have to remember those oil filters for when it is time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back