Gen 1 Ecoboost 3.5 Potential Oil Issue While Towing

Hello all, I have 2017 3.5 Ecoboost Expedition. The engine has 144,000 miles on it. On my past two towing trips, the vehicle has thrown P0019, which is a VCT issue on the driver side exhaust cam. The issue only crops up while towing for an extended period of time, usually over > 100 miles. When the trailer is not hooked up, the engine runs fine with no signs of chain rattle or other issues. While looking into this, it seems the notorious timing chain issue is commonly associated with this code. But in many instances, it appears that several other codes appear. In my case, I only get the P0019 and subsequently limited boost. I tried cycling the solenoid with 12V in case it was clogged, but it did not address the issue.

The truck is at the dealership to evaluate this issue, along with a few others. One of the other issues is low coolant in the reservoir, which was worrisome, as I had the head gasket replaced at 118,000 miles. The dealership tech said he thinks that the oil may be thinning or shearing after extended towing due to elevated temps. The temp gauge has always been in the normal range while towing, but perhaps the oil is absorbing some of the heat. I also have a manifold leak on the same bank, but it seems to seal up and is inaudible when the engine warms up.

Can anyone offer any insight into whether moving to a 5W-40 might resolve this issue? If so, what brand of 5W-40 would be optimal? I've been using Magnatec 5W or 10W-30 (now GTX) exclusively for the 86,000 miles I've put on the truck. I'm in Houston so it's generally warm here. I'm looking at Castrol Edge 5W-40 for a test tow.

Would timing chain wear show up in a UOA? I had two done in the past and the numbers were within normal range. The truck is primarily our tow vehicle, so I would to keep it for another few years if possible, but between potential timing chain and manifold leaks, I'm looking at over 5K in repairs and I'm concerned other issues may crop while the camper is hooked up. I discussed with my wife and we agreed that up to 10K would be reasonable rather than trying to replace it, provided that it would be reliable after repair. I am contemplating Full-Race manifolds, Powermax turbos, timing chain and intercooler upgrades at the same time. I would hate to replace a single manifold, then have the other side or a turbo go out.

I'd see what the dealer will do on trade for a new or low mileage used vehicle before sinking $5-10k into a vehicle that has proven problematic.

What kind of weight/trailer are you towing with it?

It's a travel trailer, Salem Cruise Light T282QBXL ultralight 7K loaded. The issues the vehicle is having are known issues with the 3.5 Ecoboost. My biggest concern is that if those issues are addressed, will anything else come up? A suitable replacement is going to run at least 40K. I could go all OEM parts and reduce the repair costs to around $6K. After 2017, Ford changed the options on the vehicles so that the heavy duty tow package has to be optioned, rather than including it on all Limited and higher trims as it had previously. As a result, it is very difficult to find a long wheelbase model that includes the heavy-duty towing option, and there's no guarantee it will be reliable because the Gen 2 Ecoboost had cam phaser issues that require the same labor as my current vehicle to address.

If the tech thinks oil viscosity is the issue, why not try Castrol 5w-40 before doing anything more drastic? Can’t hurt.

If the tech thinks oil viscosity is the issue, why not try Castrol 5w-40 before doing anything more drastic? Can’t hurt.
That's the plan, but Castrol has multiple types of 5W-40. Also, I wasn't sure whether Castrol has the best formulation in that weight, or if there is something better that might address the issue.

Sounds like a phaser pin isn't getting enough oil pressure to lock back into place when the oil is thinned out. I had this happen on my previous truck with its 3V 5.4 running a 0w20 oil. After it happened once, that truck got 0w40 and it never happened again. My 2016 with the same engine as yours hasn't had anything like your issue and has always run 0w40 since new. We tow 8000lbs through the Rockies in the summer and the engine is always quiet. I would give Castrol 0w40 a try. Lots of PAO and a bunch of euro certs.

What sort of oil coolers does the vehicle have? I would look into upgrading that if possible.

Timing chain wear concerns can be mitigated by looking for something which meets/exceeds API SP.

Examples:

Mobil 1 Truck/SUV 5w30
Mobil 1 FS 0w40 or 5w40
Pennzoil Euro 5w40 or 0w40

It has an OEM oil cooler as part of the HD towing package. Can't quantify how well it performs apart from the gauges reading normal but it is present. Next time I tow I'll see if anything is amiss or if Torque can give better stats. One thing about these vehicles is that they will stay in 5th or 6th and increase boost instead of downshifting, which is likely harder on the engine components and oil.

before next tow, add some high viscosity oil and see if the issue stays away. Something like 15w-50.

If it doesn't help, the issue might not be with the oil viscosity.

It has an OEM oil cooler as part of the HD towing package. Can't quantify how well it performs apart from the gauges reading normal but it is present. Next time I tow I'll see if anything is amiss or if Torque can give better stats. One thing about these vehicles is that they will stay in 5th or 6th and increase boost instead of downshifting, which is likely harder on the engine components and oil.
The oil cooler they use is more of a heat exchanger. The lower radiator hoses hooks into those 2 ports and coolant circulates through the cooler. Basically this is the part that the oil filter threads onto. I would maybe consider a bigger cooler as well as a 0w40/5w40 oil like has been suggested.

Web capture_16-2-2023_135510_snaponepc.com.jpeg

imho am engine with turbos (like a diesel) and DI (like a diesel) should run oil like a diesel. 5w40 or 15w40. never had a problem with 15w40 in old gasoline cars (port injection) so I don't think it can mess up an engine that bad.

I discussed with my wife and we agreed that up to 10K would be reasonable rather than trying to replace it
If you do end up nearing that $10k mark with repairs/upgrades, it's worth considering an F250 with the 6.2 as a replacement considering this is a vehicle you will primarily be using for towing. It won't have nearly the low end grunt of the 3.5EB, but if the Ecoboost were such a great engine it's strange that it was not/will not be offered in the F250 as it's lighter, gets better-ish fuel economy, and most importantly it even makes more torque than the mundane 6.2.

High out put oil pump? We are spending your $$$$. I would think about a new vehicle

If you do end up nearing that $10k mark with repairs/upgrades, it's worth considering an F250 with the 6.2 as a replacement considering this is a vehicle you will primarily be using for towing. It won't have nearly the low end grunt of the 3.5EB, but if the Ecoboost were such a great engine it's strange that it was not/will not be offered in the F250 as it's lighter, gets better-ish fuel economy, and most importantly it even makes more torque than the mundane 6.2.
Can't, as I need the 3rd row seats for kids, in-laws etc. If there was a new Excursion I would go that route. The Ecoboost probably wouldn't do as well in a 3/4 ton. The extra weight and frontal area would have it in boost all the time, negating the mpg improvement. Most 3/4-ton owners probably use the vehicle for work vs the Expedition, where it's frequently just a family vehicle.

I'm currently using M1, 10W-40 HM in my 2011 EB 3.5L. The truck seems to perform just fine with it. No phaser or chain rattle. I do let the engine warm up a few minutes before driving.
I picked up some Edge 5W-40 today, so I'll do a test run and see what happens. Supposed to pick up the Expedition from the dealer tomorrow.

Back