Geico claim experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN

It would seem I would have to sign a "release" to get the check from Geico. It would seem at that point they are done with me.

Nope, you don't sign anything. You can cash the check and live with the damage, or turn it over to the shop of your choice and have it repaired. If they find additional damage after they tear the car apart or anything missed on the estimate, they'll call Geico who will inspect the new damage and issue a supplement.

GEICO sent me to safelite for glass repair because they are cheap. The guy broke my door panel and lied about the damage. Some special investigative unit assessed the damage from the shop. Another claims adjuster came out and looked at the damage. He called one junkyard for a different window and a door panel. The estimate says Parts Not Available and included some [censored] repair time & material. There is NO WAY I will let any body shop ruin my door panel because GEICO is CHEAP!

GEICO refused to send me a check for the damages assessed by their own adjuster. GEICO insists it has to be repaired at one of their preferred body shops where the claims department can dictate how my vehicle is repaired.

I ended up bringing a claim against SafeLite for the damage to my car and never saw a dime from GEICO.

I have Geico for the MDX totaled out. It was un-eventful. They were quick to respond and let me choose my body shop for estimates. No hiccups on the processes. Checks came fast. 1-2 wks the for the Car 1-2 days for the child car seat.

So far so good. A second rep called a few hours after the first one. They will cover all repairs and offered to provide a rental car. Very pleasant to deal with so far. Even the guy who hit me was apologetic and wanted to make sure my wife and I were OK. Already got an appointment with the nearby collision center and rental car reservation for Thursday morning.

It is one thing to deal with your insurance company on getting a reasonable resolution. It is quite another when you bypass your own company and try to get the other driver's company to take care of you. They have no legal duty to treat you fairly. They often do, but no obligation other than to make it easier on themselves.

OTOH you have a contract with your insurer and they are obligated under state insurance laws to treat you fairly as well as have legal duties to perform as prescribed in your insurance contract. They may not, and you may have to press them or even take it up with the state regulatory authorities (this can get results!).

Skip dealing with the other driver's insurer and get your own company to represent you and to earn the premium that you gave them at the start of the policy period. You have a better chance of being treated fairly if you do this. As much as you may believe that the other driver is 100% at fault, no question about it, accidents are never really as clear cut as you would hope them to be.

In my experience GEICO is just cheap...just like Progressive and Allstate. I am insured with Allstate and expect less-than-stellar claims handling, but I was an independent adjuster for 15 years and know what to do and say to get things done. If you want a great claims experience, get somebody like Firemans Fund or Chubb. I met a gentleman who got angry with Allstate and switched to Chubb...his rates almost tripled, but they treated him like a king. On their personal lines policies, Chubb at least used to give you your whole rental car/loss of use as a single payment...let's say you had an auto claim and will need a rental. Instead of just saying you have a $30 per diem limit, they would say you have a $10k limit...here's your check. You were welcome to rent something cheap for 60 days, or rent a helicopter for 2 hours...whatever you wanted to do.

I personally have no issue with salvage/LKQ parts but detest aftermarket parts...they just seem to fit quite right. A really good shop can "massage" them so they look OK, but why bother?

Originally Posted By: grampi
I've heard too many horror stories about Geico...

Their rates are cheap. It shows when there is a claim. They are the Walmart of insurance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: grampi
I've heard too many horror stories about Geico...

Their rates are cheap. It shows when there is a claim. They are the Walmart of insurance.

USAA's rates are lower than Geico's, but I've never had any problems with their claims department...then again, not everyone qualifies for USAA...I also think of Geico as the Walmart of auto insurance...

No complaints from me about Geico so far. They are covering the repairs and the rental car 100%, and have been very responsive and great to work with. Dropped it off this morning, and the adjuster was good to work with. Body shop has good reviews, and they were very detailed at documenting the condition of the car when I dropped it off, even noting what radio station was on, in case the battery has to be disconnected. Got a practically new Cruze until Tuesday when they figure the door will be replaced and the quarter panel will be repaired. Not a bad operation at all; body shop, Geico adjuster, State Farm adjuster, and Enterprise car rental, all under one roof.

Called my agent early on, and he added a note that it had a collision. Offered to go rattle Geico's cage if they didn't follow up soon, but sounds like they are on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back