Gear oil video...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I've been gone for a few years and just came back to view a video I remember watching the last time I was on the site.

The problem is that I can't find it here any more and I was wondering if anyone knew where I might find it.

The video was of a gear oil test involving Schaeffer's and Lucas' gear oil and their relative ability to climb up a series of gears. The outcome was not favorable to Lucas' gear oil.

If I remember correctly, it was a video that Bob had done back when he was active on the site.

There were also some tests done with a Timken machine, which I'd like to get ahold of.

Does anyone know where/how I can get my hands on these videos?

Thanks!

Scott

I knew exactly what he was talking about, but couldn't find it either, ill have to bookmark that one...

Yep, that is the one. I remembered it as a video, but these pictures provide the same information!

Thank you so much for finding this. I hadn't thought about checking the internet archive. I appreciate it!

Scott

Well, I cranked up the "wayback machine" and found this page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100114033558/http://bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=61

Does anyone have the related videos? I wish they had at least been put up on YouTube, but they haven't. I'd love to be able to get them also.

Thanks again for your help!

Scott

Bump...

No one has a source for these videos? Or at least someone who can download those files and actually get them to play?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

Originally Posted By: Scott_dup1
Bump...

No one has a source for these videos? Or at least someone who can download those files and actually get them to play?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

Why would you want a video of a very (biased) unscientific test?

Well, first, I'm looking for the group of videos that Bob had originally done a few years back.

Second, what makes you think they were intended to be "scientific"?

Third, why do you think they were biased? Not saying they weren't, but I'd like to know your reasoning for saying so.

At the time, Bob was very clear that they were illustrative of only one type of lubrication, boundary. Yes, using a Timken bearing machine isn't "scientific", but it IS illustrative.

If the test is relatively comprehensive, the person conducting them has some integrity, and the conditions are repeatable for independent verification of the results, then it can be useful. I agree that it doesn't tell the whole story, just part of it. As part of a group of tests, people can better understand the relative strengths and weaknesses of the various lubrication products.

Anyway, I'd still like to have viewable versions so I, and others, can make their own determinations about the various tests and products.

Scott

Last edited:
Is Bob around anymore? I haven't had time to go searching to see if he is still active. Does he have the same ID now? I know mine has changed since I was last on a couple years ago.

I wonder if it would be worth contacting him?

Thanks for the info...

Scott

Has LUCAS ever responded to any of these claims of "foaming" in their product????

Does anyone know if LUCAS has changed the formula or added an anit-foaming agent in the oil stabilizer?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
He posts from time to time over at Dyson DMW weblog. Maybe you could ask him for the videos there?

Thanks for the info! I'll try to track him down over there.

Scott

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Why would you want a video of a very (biased) unscientific test?

(biased) I think it was removed because they were comparing a straight 90 weight to a 140 weight with Lucas

(unscientific) It didn't prove Lucas does or does not help reduce wear which is what I think is the main purpose of gear oil. I think it did show what 140 weight gear oil mixed with Lucas would do in a similar test box: It didn't show what it would do in a differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back