Gear oil for a freshly rebuilt front diff 01 yukon

The 01 Yukon I just bought had the front differential rebuilt. The shop I work at actually just had it done. Well 500 miles later a ton of metal in the fluid and it looks pretty rough. So it's being sent back out to be rebuilt. The rebuilder is reputable so it's kind of a surprise. That being said what would be a darn good gear oil for this application? Obviously want to be over cautious and use the best of the best I can get to get the longest life possible from it.

Were the ring and pinion replaced as well, or just the shims/bearings/etc? If the former, totally expected. It's like breaking in an engine. You have to swap out that oil after a few hundred miles with fresh gear oil.

Were the ring and pinion replaced as well, or just the shims/bearings/etc? If the former, totally expected. It's like breaking in an engine. You have to swap out that oil after a few hundred miles with fresh gear oil.
Bearings, races, seals and a adjuster but was replaced. It's a lot of metal. Glitter all over the inside.

Pictures of fluid and drain plug
IMG_20230208_205212.jpg
IMG_20230208_205209.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back