GC is only sorta green; looks like a straignt 40W Chevron ,circa 1955

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally time to change out the M1 0w40 for GC. The Audi dealer did the oil change, with me supplying the GC. When I got home and pulled the stick, it was brownish-looking, similar to dino Castrol. I feared the dealer hadn't used my GC at all, until I bought more and poured out some into a glass jar. Well, it didn't smell like gummy bears at all to me, just like plain ol' oil. But the oil was rather dark-colored, for virgin oil, but did have a dark green tint to it amongst the brown base. It reminded me of the bulk straight 40W the service stations used to display in the glass bottles. When you wanted a quart of oil they drain one of the bottles then later refill it from the drum out back. At any rate, when I put some on a rag it looked just like the GC that I wiped from the dipstick - a brown oil that looked like it had 5K miles on it. Seems the dealer put in GC after all!

I refer to it as having a green sheen. But it's really strange if you look at it for a bit, and from a couple different angles. It's as if the oil is green for about the first half inch of depth, at which point it takes on a more traditional dark amber color. And call the odor whatever you want (and liken it to whatever you care to), it is a different odor.

EDIT to add omitted word.

[ November 11, 2004, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: ekpolk ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back