GC in a 2006 Matrix? GC and LC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject suggests, I was wondering what your thoughts are on:

1.Using GC on a 2006 Matrix. In view of the a recent TSB that specs 5w-20 for 2006 and newer Toyotas, is it too thick?

2. If so, or independent of that. Would LC thin it? Good combo? How about a mix with MC 5w-20?

3. Any relavent UOA info on above scenarios?

Thanks Guys.
popcorn.gif

My opinion: don't use it. Too thick. Don't mix. Don't use LC. Just use any SM 5w-20. Synthetic - PP, Mobil 1, Amsoil.

GC is just fine for the Trix. Spec for the 1ZZFE is 5w30 is GC is ok. I don't you'll need LC scence it a Synthectic and not Dino.

Best UOA on the board (to date)in a 1ZZFE was with Pennzoil 5w-30 Conventional!
approved.gif

That is over Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1.

Without any adds. When I've used LC, my UOAs were not as good.
dunno.gif

Since your in warrenty for 60k or 2011, you have(should) follow Toyotas OCI of 6months or 5k miles.

I've done a lot of UOAs and posted them. So has Bluegoose.

Do a search on both of us in the UOA forum.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

I'll search your and Bluegoose's UOAs.
How is your 1.8 doing?

Did you have any oil consumption with it or the Prizm?

I am about to finish second ARX cycle on my 99.

My choice of oil is also contigent on my results.

Maybe an oil catch setup is in the works too.

Thanks Bill.

As I understand it he has a Owners Manual that Specs 5W-30 and a Toyota TSB respecing the cars to 5W-20.

Seeing as how you need a 5000 mi OCI for Toyota Warranty I would just use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, Havoline, or Pennzoil 5W-20 or 5W-30 whichever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. You should be covered with either viscosity.

What peformance edge are you hoping to gain spending $6/qt on GC for this application? Is this an XRS/2ZZFE? What about warranty issues?

If yours is the 1ZZFE in a regular Matrix/Vibe, it's going to be a "dog" when it comes to performance. Don't get me wrong, it's a great engine...but it's a fair amount of weight/car to pull. I have an AWD Vibe and it will never set any land speed records; therefore, I don't know how GC will add anything, even marginally, as far as performance is concerned. I've run synthetics since I bought it (Mobil 1, PP, ST Synthetic) and I'm not sure I would see better numbers than Bill does with whatever dino he uses. To use GC seems an even more rediculous waste of quality oil/$$$ than what I'm doing...

Yes I have the lowly 1ZZFE. Toyota is all done with the 2ZZFE. No more XRS in 2007
frown.gif
But I digress. I want to use a PAO base oil eventually for it.

But there is that pesky warranty thing. Point well taken.

So its MC and PP for me and the Matrix for now.

Thanks to all for the input.
cheers.gif

I spoke with someone who used GC in this motor and lost 2-3 mpg. use 5w-30..heck even 5w-20 per TSB, this engine was designed for fuel economy. I have 10w-30 hav syn SL in my vibe, but I'm using my stash up. 0 oil consumption on this 7 months/5600 miles so far. UOA coming in five months.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back