GC, High mileage, syn in high mile civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bout to get a 170000 mile 1997 honda civic as a beater. I believe they call for 5w30. any reccomendations? I can find GC but would it be better to run one of the high mileage dinos or a reg synthetic?

Thanks in advance,
Erik

Do you know anything about it's history?

I ran 10w-30 Havoline regular oil in a '97 Isuzu for over 150k miles before switching to Maxlife synthetic, now have 170k with no issues/leaks. But, I'd be a bit leary of using a true synthetic, i.e. GC in an engine with no known history.

I know the girl Im buying it off of. The car wasnt beat but I know how she was with the oil changes. Her theory was late better than never im sure. Im also pretty sure it just got dino

First I would run 3 or 4-three month intervals with your favorite oil. Then extend to 6 month intervals with your favorite synthetic.

I mentioned "favorite" because if you buy that it'll be easier to stay with the same one every oc.

I started using Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40 in my Volvo when it had 325k on it and love it! I also use it in my other Volvo that has 133k and no problems at all. It is a wonderful oil and best oil for the money. Hope this helps.

If the engine is dirty & you're not interested in Auto-Rx to clean it up, stick to dino and change it often. I like my dipsticks sorta clear for at least 1K. That's the measuring stick I use in determining how clean my engine is.

Quote:

I started using Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40 in my Volvo when it had 325k on it and love it! I also use it in my other Volvo that has 133k and no problems at all. It is a wonderful oil and best oil for the money. Hope this helps.

That begs the question.... What was the oil you used to get you to 325K?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back