GC for Volvo 850R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang,
So I am just about on the end of my autorx rinse and I am going to be putting GC in after the rinse. I have 20qts that that I just bought with the Autozone sale, w/about 8 green ones.

Anyone here run GC on a Volvo 850 Turbo? How long did you run it? Did it burn oil, etc.?

It would be a very good choice. I run Red Line 5w-30 in my wife's 850 turbo wagon, a 96 and at almost 180k miles it runs like new. I would be just as happy with GC as the current RL. You don't need a 40 weight oil in that engine. Our 850 has yet to need oil between changes.

Have you tried the GC in it? I have a slightly modified engine (chip, MBC -15psi), but I don't always drive it hard. Just wondering for OCI curiosity.

Our Volvo has a chip, exhaust system, turbo down tube and other mods. It is not abused and is well maintained and we have good weather. She does about 360 miles a week in her commute. I have not tried GC but a friend that has an 850 turbo wagon uses GC and he really drives hard. His is a 97 with a chip and exhaust, lowered an inch or so and upgraded brakes. He goes through a set of Michelin's every 15-25k miles or so. He has been using GC since it became the darling of BITOG and swears by it.

Thanks!
My car reall burns Mobil 1 so I'm hoping to get away from that. When I used Rotella T 5w40 during the winter for a change it didn't burn at all, mileage was down though. Hopefully this will be great with this car.

When I owned a 95 850 turbo, I ran GC in it for one interval and I stopped because the oil consumption was unbelievable....to the point where I wouldn't take an Ohio-NC roadtrip because I'd have to carry a couple quarts with me to get there and back. I tried the following oils in it: M1 0-40 and 10w-30, GC, Synpower 10w-30 and 5w-40. Consumption from greatest to least was:

GC>M1 10w-30>M1 0w-40> Synpower 10w-30> Synpower 5w-40.

Consumed at minimum 2 quarts and probably more of GC and M1 10w-30 in a 5000 mile interval. About 1.5-2 quarts of M1 0w-40. About 1.5 quarts of Synpower 10w-30 and about 1 quart of 5w-40.

GC is probably fine for engines that aren't burning much oil. But my car was a oil burner and GC did not improve things over Mobil 1. I found both these oils to deplete quickly if the engine was burning oil.

We'll see how it is after two full cycles of Auto-RX. That might help any oil burning issues.

Oil does not fix oil burning beyond useing a thicker oil to reduce it. Auto-RX migh do the trick by cleaning things up. Other products that promise to reduce burning might work. Stranger things have happend and you might get lucky. A few bucks here and there is worth a try before you get the engine fixes or the car sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back