GC and Ford 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have a 2004 Ford ranger 4x4 4.0L. I was using M1 EP 5w-30 and M1 filters..truck now has 28,650 miles. I can not find the M1 EP around here now..seems like a shortage.

I have been reading the forums here for a year now (which is a great place) and stumbled on the GC thing here. So I go to autozone and look and found some..it was the gold so i got it anyways..

I also got a Pure1 filter..My question is ..Will this be a good oil for my truck..I know the 4.0L likes a slightly thicker oil than other Ford trucks as they use 5-20..

and what should my change intervals be with this oil..would 7500 be ok.

My driving is 75% highway..25% backroads..no real city driving...

Thanks for any info you can provide...

Al

I have been using GC in my '05 Explorer 4.0L SOHC for nearly 15,000 miles (third OCI with GC) This engine loves the GC!

VERY Smooth, VERY quiet with no drop in mpg.

I have used Motorcraft as well Platinum (also good stuff). Butt and ear dyno only....no paid for tests....I believe you will be happy.

BTW I live in Southern California, so temps are moderate, although I have driven in the mountains in below freezing (lol I know I know) temps as well as over 100 degrees last summer.

75% highway - 25% backroads
GC Gold and a Pure One = 7,500 miles
You're good to go!

Well today I did the oil change just when it started to snow....After all was done and wiped down..I took the truck for a ride...seemed ok...no noises and seemed to run very smooth..

would it be any benifit if I added any VSOT to this change...or just leave well enough alone....

I did the techron injector clean before the change 2 bottles to 20 gallons of gas...

Thanks for the info... you people are great

Al

I wouldn't add the VSOT, IMHO the GC is good enough. Also it will throw off you UOA so you wouldn't be completely sure just how well the GC did in your engine.

Your 4.0 liter German-built V6 still specifies 5W30. This will probably not change as the other Ford motors get back specified with the 20W oils in the months to come.

I was going to ask the same question regarding my 01 Ranger, and stumbled across this thread. Any update on how the engine is doing with the GC? What benefit would come from using this oil over the Mobil 1 that I have always used?

Quote:

I was going to ask the same question regarding my 01 Ranger, and stumbled across this thread. Any update on how the engine is doing with the GC? What benefit would come from using this oil over the Mobil 1 that I have always used?

I can't comment on how the OP is doing with with his run
of GC, because he hasn't chimed back in.

Although I can comment on your second question.

By changing to GC you will be getting a real synthetic oil,
not a grp III like mobile one has been shown to be. GC has
shown excellent performance for the majority of those that
have used it, and by posted UOA's.

If your going to be paying the same price for M1 grp III
as you will be for GC, I think that it's a no brainer to
choose the GC, as long as it fits your cars viscosity
requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back