GC 0-30 6500mi 2001 Saturn SC1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Report

DANIEL: Everything in this first analysis of oil from your Saturn 1.9L engine looks great. Universal averages
show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 5,000 miles on the oil. You ran this oil 6,500 miles
and all wear read around averages. That's a good indication that no problems are developing. The 5.8 TBN
shows plenty of active additive still remaining. A TBN of 1.0 is our low cutoff. No moisture, coolant, or
excess fuel found its way into the oil. All in all, your Saturn looks solid. You could push on up to 7,500 miles
on the oil without a problem.

MAKE/MODEL:Saturn 1.9L 4-Cyl
FUEL TYPE:Gasoline (Unleaded)
ADDITIONAL INFO:2001 SC1
OIL TYPE & GRADE:Castrol Syntec 0W/30
MI/HR on Oil:6,500 Miles
MI/HR on Unit:161,500
Report Date: 5/7/2010
Make Up Oil Added:2qts

ALUMINUM 4
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 18
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 10
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 4
BORON 7
SILICON 18
SODIUM 14
CALCIUM 2190
MAGNESIUM 577
PHOSPHORUS 990
ZINC 1290
BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 67.3
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 12.23
Flashpoint in °F 405
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 5.8
TAN
ISO Code

This car is driven almost daily as a commuter car to work, averages close to 100 miles a day with a mix of city and highway. Probably 70% highway at speeds from 55-75. This oil change was run using a PureONE filter. I would not really say that the car is babied, it occasionally gets full throttle runs up to 5000 RPM going up on ramps, but then just cruises down the highway.

Originally Posted By: skylinegtr
With a TBN of 5.8 left you can run this to 10k.

lots of life left on this oil for sure!

Originally Posted By: BigNick
With 2 quarts of make up oil, you would expect the TBN to still be high!

There isn't anything impressive here given the 2 quarts of make-up oil replacing up to 50% of the oil in the sump...

Save your money and buy cheap stuff, the cheaper stuff will last just as long because you have been topping up.

I am guessing the two quarts is being burnt as it is a Saturn. Any chance the GC will clean and release the rings?

snoops - Have you concidered a soak or additive to release the rings? Then maybe see what the GC will do with out the make up oil?

I was running conventional Valvoline up to about 140kand it was using a lot more oil. I started using the GC 0-30 in the winter and M1 ep 5-30 and then 10-30 last summer, since switching to synthetics it has cleaned up the inside of the engine, and my oil consumption has actually gone down. It consumes less of the GC than it does the M1. I have not done any soaks to the pistons. I do have a slightly leaky cam cover that I have been fighting with to try to seal it up. I also use a oversized filter so my oil capacity is 4.5 qts.

I am running syn Rotella T6 5-40 for this summer season and plan to do an analysis in the fall.

So it seems that this may lend some credit to the better cleaning abilities of synthetic theory.

For a Saturn 1.9 2qts/6000m isn't that bad and some of that attributed to a leak. Even better!

Nice results. This is a very shear stable 0w30. Made my Honda very sluggish too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back