Gas Trimmer Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of getting a new trimmer that can accept attachments. This model is high on the list: https://www.amazon.com/Tanaka-TCG27EBDP-2-Cycle-Commercial-Trimmer/dp/B00LUNWZH2

Are the accessory attachments universal? As in, can I use different brands with different powerheads? I already own a Ryobi cultivator and pole saw and want to make sure they are compatible. I have used these attachments on a couple different brand trimmers (Lehr, Troy-Bilt) with no issues, so I expect they will all be the same, but am not sure. Pretty sure Stihl has their own proprietary design (think I remember reading that they only accept Stihl attachments), wondering about Tanaka, Echo and other brands if they are proprietary as well.

I'm pretty sure they are proprietary and not interchangeable, maybe if they are under the same parent company they might be but I have no idea. I went with the honda versattach system, got the 35cc head and the string trimmer hedge trimmer and pruner attachments, at least with the 4 cycle I don't have to mix the 2 cycle oil/gas.

They are all proprietary......Own a 131R Stihl Combi head after working a (bought used) 94R Combi head to near death. I have several Fruitless Mulberry trees that require yearly heavy pruning & over 1000 feet of fenceline that needs trimming.

I picked Stihl because the Pruning Saw heads are some of the best in the industry in my opinion, They oil well, Have really good Bars & Chains. The string trimmer attachments are really good as well. The wife loves the Tiller attachment for the small garden & flower beds. The swivel hedge trimmer is too heavy for her & kinda hard on me as well.

The Ryobi/Poulan/Toro/MTD/Cub Cadet/Troy-Bilt/Craftsman/ etc etc etc system is the most common and most universal!

I think Echo might be proprietary, but you have to look, I think I recall seeing their better weed wacker being proprietary while the lower cost one was not. That Tanaka looks proprietary based on the drive and how my Ryobi setup looks like. FWIW I went Ryobi for myself, all from Home Depot, figured I'd get at least a few years out of light usage, maybe more with any luck. Reviews seemed good.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The Ryobi/Poulan/Toro/MTD/Cub Cadet/Troy-Bilt/Craftsman/ etc etc etc system is the most common and most universal!

Sadly those are the brands I'm trying hard to get away from! Most are cheap outsourced junk. My last Troy-Bilt (bought the most expensive one they had) lasted about a year and a half before it started dying when hot, then the starter mechanism broke.

Both the commercial grade Echo PAS and Stihl KombiSystem are great tool systems. If you were to go with the Stihl, I would suggest going to the KM 94 or higher, the KM 56 is fine for using the trimmer and pruner attachments, but if you are doing some serious work and want to use the sweeper/tiller/etc go with the big boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back