Gas station tank black inside?

They were tearing up the fuel tanks of an old gas station that closed down by me. I didn't take a picture, but I could tell the tank was fiberglass and it had this black residue inside the tank. Wondered what it was By residue I mean the interior wall of the tank. I don't think it was any type of coating, but more of a black residue. Now I couldn't tell if it was a gas or diesel tank, but maybe it's just that black residue you get with old gasoline? It was definitely a fiberglass tank because you could see where the excavator ripped it open. Looked like it was cut in half also. Guess they wanted to make sure it didn't get used for something else? Anyways, opinions? There's another old gas station by me where they removed the pumps and I believe the tanks also. I think the tanks are required to be replaced after a certain number of years. Maybe older gas stations opt to not replace them with new ones and just don't sell gas anymore? I've never really understood why they put a gas station on every corner of an intersection. Makes no sense.

Back