Gas question for storing a car this winter

I'm planning to store one of our three vehicles this winter in our garage and, at times, driveway. We have three vehicles and aren't driving much these days, so this one can just sit until spring. If this goes as planned, I won't put full coverage insurance back on it until March or April. This is a 2008 Suburban 5.3L.

I'm about to park it but I'm not sure about the gas situation. It's got about 4 or 5 gallons in it now. I can treat that with some Seafoam and be done. Or, I can fill it and treat, or do something in between. Suggestions on what's best? Does it matter?

And since it's BITOG, I'll also mention the oil. It's M1 HM that's been in for 5 months and has about 4K on it. OLM is at 60%. Napa Gold filter. Based on its lack of use, I had been planning on doing annual oil changes, which means it would be due next May.

Reactions: JC1
I store the Mustang from Thanksgiving through March.
I have always put Stabil in and filled the tank.
I put a CTEK on the battery and leave the oil alone. (I now have about 800 miles on a sump of Mobil 1 I changed this year.)
Put a cover over it and I'm done (I have a carport.)
Never have had an issue in the spring.

when I winterize my stuff I fill up the tank with fresh gas and use a fuel treatment (Sta-bil is what I use)

I'll periodically re-charge the batteries with the charger and if I have a chance I'll drive them around enough to get the engine warm. That also helps with keeping the tires from getting flat spots too.

Problem with treating the fuel that's in there now depends on how old it is. I would add a few gallons then treat it with Sta-bil and put my CTEK on the battery and not touch it till spring, it's only 6 months away.

Just fill the tank, add the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil, and drive it home. I always find E0 for this process, but you do you.

The oil is fine. Change it in May as you had planned.

I have a 65 mustang and a 98 mustang, and I always put in a strong dose of Sta=bil and fill the gas tank full of E-0 gas, and park it I'm my garage till warm weather comes again. Probably around April. The battery in the 65 can sit all winter without going down, although I will charge it at least once or twice, but the 98 I charge up about once a month.

Just fill the tank, add the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil, and drive it home. I always find E0 for this process, but you do you.

The oil is fine. Change it in May as you had planned.
Definitely ethinol free and you really don’t need anything else. I add a dose of mmo to help lubricant any metal as well.

Reactions: JC1
I would fill the tank and add stabilizer. You could remove the battery and store it indoors and periodically charge it if you don't have a maintainer. No need to drive it around.

When I used to store a vehicle, my routine was to try to fill with as full a fill of fresh gas right before storage. In my area, Shell V-Power is ethanol free, which would also be a bonus. I mixed in stabilizer (Stabil works fine, but Amsoil has a nice product too). Filling the tank reduces the air space and therefore the potential for condensation during the daily temperature cycle all winter. Winters in my area are very damp, so this was a factor.

I also tended to store the vehicle with a clean oil change. The only thing that will get into it over the winter is moisture, which can burn off, as opposed to storing it with combustion byproducts/acid/whatever and then adding moisture on top of that. It probably doesn't matter much, but if you're looking to optimize..... I also ran tire pressures up to sidewall max, chocked wheels so I could release the parking brake, made sure not to leave it in gear (it was stick), battery on something like a ctek (sometimes removed, sometimes in vehicle depending on where stored). I pushed ziplock bags with steel wool inside into the exhaust pipe, air intake before the air filter, and the cabin air intake (sometimes) to keep rodents out. I typically fogged the cylinders with fogging oil after parking it, and again before spinning it up on the starter with no plugs to build oil pressure before the first start of the season. No trips around the block until the weather/roads are good enough to get it out again for use.

This was a 1992 vehicle - on a modern vehicle all this fooling around would be way less convenient and I might do less of it. :)

Last edited:
Yes, mice can be a problem. Luckily I have never had a problem with mice in my garage. But in looking on the inter webs for ways to keep mice out of stored cars, I have found many ways that some people say work, and just as many people that say the same ways do not work.

What about putting extra air pressure in the tires? I know some say to put them up to max pressure on the sidewall.

For Winter lay up, every road vehicle below gets;
-oil and filter change
-full tank
-Marine or regular Sta-bil
-Tire pressures set to max on sidewall (and a note in the car to remind me in the Spring)
-The oldies w/ steel tanks get MMO (old British car mechanic recommended this many, many years ago...he felt the additional oil in the sloshing fuel protected the ullage space. Not relevant to you though)

The above has worked well for for me ~25 years.

My Jeep gets stored all winter with a full tank of E10 with Seafoam in it. Never had a problem. Battery gets a trickle charger. I may start it up on a warm weekend and run for 20 minutes. Sometimes I put it on jackstands to get pressure off of the springs and the tires off the ground.

Back