Winter non use of car questions

Not a fan of the stabil , myself, but fill with ethanol free E0 gas and run the tires up to the max on the sidewall so they don't flatspot. Then either pull the battery and bring inside or leave on a tender in the vehicle, unhooked.

I've had a winter car and summer car for the past 35 years. All I do is trickle charge the battery every 3 months and maybe take it for an occasional run to keep the brakes in shape.

The added benefit of the off season is I have months to take care of any issues each car may have.

I don't drive my Gen Coupe when there is snow on the ground. I just disconnect the battery and try and have a full tank of gas. Starts right up in the spring.

I sit many cars for the winter. Just do a real good drive to get all fluids up to temperature. Notionally that’s 30+ miles with highway use at speed. Park it right away once there, don’t let it cool and restart or anything. You want to drive into it’s spot, idle with the fan on, ac off for a minute to help dry the air box, then shut off. Use a battery charger to keep it up. Nothing else to it.

So you think that using it now and then is better than just leaving it parked and not starting? Not disagreeing, just clarifying. I am just trying to get a consensus here.
I think that holds true for any engine. I have a lot of small engine powered equipment. 2 chain saws, 3 generators, a gas power blower, and a gas powered hedge trimmer. I use non Ethanol fuel with stabilizer in all of them.

But I still try to run them once a month or so up to operating temperature, just to run some fuel through the fuel lines, carbs and jets. I think fuel sitting is the cause of most carbureted small engine problems. I don't think fuel injected automobile engines have those issues as much. Simply because fuel is pumped through the lines, and into the fuel injection system under much higher pressure. But it's still a good idea to run them once in a while, if possible.

Carburetors, along with their jets on small engines run on gravity and vacuum pressure. (Fuel is basically sucked through them, because they have no fuel or injector pump). Because of that it's easier for them to clog or congeal shut, causing problems. Running the engine, and drawing fuel through the lines and jets on a regular basis can't but help prevent this. At least that's been my experience.

So you think that using it now and then is better than just leaving it parked and not starting?
I have plenty of cars sitting in storage, and of those that run, I start the engine every 3 or 4 months and run it 30 seconds to a few minutes depending on if it has any coolant. Important to keep the fluids circulated so seals don't dry out and fuel pump doesn't seize.

I would add Techron fuel additive to the car too. Many vehicles have gas gauges that can "stick" and the Techron will eliminate that problem. I run my Corvette for about 15 minutes every couple weeks and it's in a heated garage. If there is no salt on the roads I like to drive it about 20 miles and get everything warmed up good. You will be ok if you don't run it at all however I believe a good start is beneficial to the vehicle. One could go around and around discussing if you should or should not run the engine. I have had zero problems with an occasional start and warm up on my Corvette and many previous Corvette's and engines that are stored.

Back