Gas grill recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say $400 max. Doesn't need to be big because mostly it's just grilling for 2 people, sometimes 4, but I want it to be one of those on wheels, built to last.

A year ago I was asking here about a small portable grill and I bought the Weber Go-Anywhere one based on advice given here. I've been very happy with it and it worked well on my apartment balcony. Now that we moved to a house and have a proper patio, I'd like something slightly bigger (but not too big) that stands up on its own platform. Been reading reviews for the past few days and am still undecided.

I kind of like the Weber Spirit E-210 for its simplicity and durability. It only has 2 burners though which will probably limit my ability to grill several different things at once (as rarely as it may be). The larger 3-burner E-310 is $100 more.

Any other suggestions?

i have a holland grill, and i just love it, it cooks by convection.

when i first got it, i cooked the same supper at the same time on my new holland and my old gas grill.

there was no comparison the holland cooked meats were juicy and cut oh so easily, while the other other grills meat was dry and lacking as much flavor.

i have mine on my deck so i can cook year around on it, and there is a kit to convert it to natural gas. which i will do when i move.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
i have a holland grill, and i just love it,

Which model? Although it seems like all of them are way more than $400.

Last edited:
Strictly from CR, FWIW. Fiesta Blue Ember FG50069-U409 (Home Depot) $450.00 List Best Buy

Char-Broil Red 463250509 (Home Depot) $450 Best Buy

Brinkmann 810-8410S (Home Depot) $200

Kenmore (Sears) 16641 $350 10 yr burner warr

HTH

J

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Say $400 max. Doesn't need to be big because mostly it's just grilling for 2 people, sometimes 4, but I want it to be one of those on wheels, built to last.

A year ago I was asking here about a small portable grill and I bought the Weber Go-Anywhere one based on advice given here. I've been very happy with it and it worked well on my apartment balcony. Now that we moved to a house and have a proper patio, I'd like something slightly bigger (but not too big) that stands up on its own platform. Been reading reviews for the past few days and am still undecided.

I kind of like the Weber Spirit E-210 for its simplicity and durability. It only has 2 burners though which will probably limit my ability to grill several different things at once (as rarely as it may be). The larger 3-burner E-310 is $100 more.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not familiar w/ the new weber model designations, but my silver-A from a few yrs back is a 2 burner model, works fine, I fill up the whole grate, cooks evenly.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I can wait for a sale to come along.

Just one question, if you only want to grill a small portion of meat on a 3-burner grill, will it do the job just as well if you only fire up 1 or 2 of the 3 burners? I don't want to waste propane since most of the time it'll just be me and the misses.

OH WOW $400 for a grill for 2 people! or max 4! I bought the cheap 98 doller charbroil?? I think thats what its called? From walmart 2 years ago and shes still going strong. I've cooked for 30 people with that thing, it just takes a little longer. Works great, only gas grill I've had that the ignition button worked after the first year. All I did to it was put some lava rock in it to even out the heat because it had a few hot spots. I clean it till it looks new at the end of summer but use it a little in the winter as well. IMO its not worth buying the expensive grills, sure they look great for the first year but they never hold up and alway look pretty bad after 3 years or so. I just bought the cheapest functional grill and figure even if it [censored] out after one year I'd could do that 4 years in a row to spend as much for one nice grill. I have been surprised by this grill though. Even came with the LP bottle!

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Go for the 3 burner Weber. They are often on sale for $399.

I agree.

Weber includes a cookbook that gives tips on how to use their design effectively. You'll find the "medium indirect" method of cooking on a Weber does a very good job but you need their particular 3 burner setup to do it. The way that it cooks sets it apart from cheaper units.

My Silver C (similar to the E-320) is 8 years old, gets used at least 3 times a week, is stored outside in the coastal (salt air) elements, still looks good and functions great, and was made in Illinois. I have had to replace some wear items but they aren't expensive.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
and was made in Illinois.

The new ones are made in China, unfortunately, at least the Spirit line.

Just one question, if you only want to grill a small portion of meat on a 3-burner grill, will it do the job just as well if you only fire up 1 or 2 of the 3 burners? I don't want to waste propane since most of the time it'll just be me and the misses.

Even if you turn most of them on, it won't get as hot as it should. You don't want to over cook the meat.

Spend as much as you can for a Weber. We bought a Genesis EP-310 2 years ago and its been outstanding. We grill almost every day that its not an absolute downpour or 12" of snow on the ground.

It gets used a lot.

I have no doubt that it will last 10-15 years. Its a quality unit.

I bought a Jennair (spelling?) a couple years ago. I think it was normally a grand but I got it on sale for like 600 bucks. It's above the range you're sayin, but it cooks beautifully.

Originally Posted By: fordboy
Even if you turn most of them on, it won't get as hot as it should. You don't want to over cook the meat.

How can you over cook the meat if it doesn't get as hot as it should? I'm lost here...

If you cook something you can cook in a fry pan like thin burgers or hot dogs you can just use the burner under the meat.

More complex stuff like nice steak etc you want the "oven" effect of the closed lid as well, and the other burners on.

Don't forget a nice 5 minute preheat, if the grate is cold it will leave white undercooked marks on your meat-- if it's hot it'll make crispy black burn marks like everyone expects.

Eight years ago I bought a natural gas grill (MHP) and it has been great not having to keep propane bottles filled. I'd make a recommendation for that except that if you do buy one, buy a portable one that's connected via a flexible hose (rather than a fixed post model). The fixed post one we have works fine but every once in a while the wind is blowing in a way that puts the flame out. If you could move it around a bit that problem would go away.

Long live charcoal!!!

27.gif

Originally Posted By: fordboy

Sorry, I ment UNDER cook the meat
I guess that's what happens when you spend a whole afternoon rounding up cows....
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back