gas for Acura RDX

THANKS for all your great help with RDX rear diff. fluid, and Accord timing belt.
OK, have 2020 RDX. i think it is direct inject with 2 turbos. (I think) want to keep car LONG term. i keep up with all maintenance

most convenient gas is Citgo, I get super unleaded like the car calls for.

1. Is this gas "good enough" or must I switch to Shell V power?

2. should I ever add techron or other additive.

thanks and have a great day
best regards,

bob

You will certainly get different opinions on this forum, so here is mine...

We have a 2021 RDX, bought it new in Feb of 2021. Inside the gas door it states that premium gas is recommended, and minimum octane of 87. Tried both for the first month or so and couldn’t tell the difference...so we just use 87 octane. We do always use top tier gas...

As long as you use premium, it's fine. That's the most important thing. You don't have to use any specific brand.

Also consider using 5w30 instead of 0w20. Use an oil that is d1g2, which most synthetics are.

Is this gas "good enough" ? Good enough for what? What makes Shell gas gooder?

thanks guys! "good enough" by that, I mean good enough to avoid any deposits in a direct inject turbo engine, which I want to last a LONG time. Acura recommends premium. I looked up Citgo is top tier, meaning it should have good additives.

slack tide: why would I want to use 5/30 instead of 0-20 if Acura says 0-20? thanks! here in Mass. we have had lots of cold weather. zero and windy, I would think 0 weight would be better for the engine in cold starts.

thanks everyone and have a great day
bob

thanks guys! "good enough" by that, I mean good enough to avoid any deposits in a direct inject turbo engine, which I want to last a LONG time. Acura recommends premium. I looked up Citgo is top tier, meaning it should have good additives.
Yes, plus all gasoline sold in the US must meet a minimum additive level as established by the EPA.

If you do octane experiments and settle for less, try again in the summer. That's when you need the most octane.

slack tide: why would I want to use 5/30 instead of 0-20 if Acura says 0-20? thanks! here in Mass. we have had lots of cold weather. zero and windy, I would think 0 weight would be better for the engine in cold starts.

thanks everyone and have a great day
bob

0w20 might be too thin for turbo in real life usage. 5w30 will likely handle the turbo better. You might also like M1 AFE 0w30 which is sold at Walmart. It is d1g2.

Do you drive a lot of short trips? If so, make sure to take a longer trip at least once a week.

Back