Gas boiler frustrations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kage860
Originally Posted by Donald
The repair guy told me the new gas boilers that hang on the wall are great unit they break and then it's a $1000 part rather than a $100 part on an old style boiler.

That makes me feel better that I signed a contract to convert my boiler to gas rather than get one of the more efficient on the wall instant units. I'm converting a Beckett oil burner to a Carlin gas burner. I like going with stuff the local supply house has parts for in case a part goes out.

Is this propane or natural gas?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
But the OP did say his boiler was 25 years old....

Far easier to get someone to repair a 25 year old car.

I hope it's natural gas. I wish it ran to my house. Here, LPG costs 50% more per BTU than fuel oil does. It's the most expensive heat source, and service is universally poor as well. Electricity costs a small fraction. It's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
But the OP did say his boiler was 25 years old....

Far easier to get someone to repair a 25 year old car.

I hope it's natural gas. I wish it ran to my house. Here, LPG costs 50% more per BTU than fuel oil does. It's the most expensive heat source, and service is universally poor as well. Electricity costs a small fraction. It's ridiculous.

I do not believe electricity costs a small fraction. Electricity is the most expensive heating source unless it's a heat pump.

I do not believe electricity costs a small fraction. Electricity is the most expensive heating source unless it's a heat pump.

Maybe "small" is an exaggeration. It depends on your local rates. I have time of use/demand rate. LPG is the most expensive here, more than electricity by far.

Local cost per million BTU output:

Natural gas (not generally available outside cities) 90% efficiency 1.0964/therm = $12.19
Electricity, time-of-use demand rate, off peak, resistance heat=100% efficiency .061/kwh = $17.88
Fuel oil 80% efficiency $2.90/gal = $25.97 not incl. delivery, assume 200 gal per $25 delivery = $27.08
Electricity, standard residential rate, 100% efficiency .104/kwh = $30.48 (and an electric furnace is much cheaper to buy & maintain than any other)
LPG 90% efficiency $3.03/gal = $36.86 not incl. delivery, assume 150 gal per $25 delivery = $38.89

A heat pump would be 1/3 to 2/3 of cost of resistance heat depending on weather BUT purchase/maintenance of heat pump systems is several hundred $/year, and as mentioned, once it starts failing it's time to buy another one.

Originally Posted by Rock_Hudstone
That makes me feel better that I signed a contract to convert my boiler to gas rather than get one of the more efficient on the wall instant units. I'm converting a Beckett oil burner to a Carlin gas burner. .

Keep us updated on how that Carlin gas burner conversion works out. I'm planning on doing the same thing in the spring.

We have a Beckett oil burner and it's great, super reliable and simple to troubleshoot/repair with easily available parts. However, heating with oil is just too expensive plus the hassle of the oil tank and all.

I had oil in my house-the only option, no gas lines for miles. Original furnace (and I mean ORIGINAL, I recall from 1919) was a converted coal burner and lasted 70+ years...replacement was working fine when I sold the house.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I had oil in my house-the only option, no gas lines for miles. Original furnace (and I mean ORIGINAL, I recall from 1919) was a converted coal burner and lasted 70+ years...replacement was working fine when I sold the house.

I friend mine had an old coal fired steam boiler that was converted to NG at some point and it was also working fine when she sold. It looked like a unit with a few rows of gas burner tubes placed into the coal combustion chamber.

We have an older oil fired burner as well, about late 60's vintage but built like a tank and all exterior components have been updated: new Taco circulator pumps, relays, expansion take etc. So I'm going to give the Carlin gas burner a try and see how it goes.

The whole Carlin unit is under $700 shipped and I'd rather not have to rework all the plumbing lines for a new boiler plus the expense of the unit itself.

Originally Posted by Rock_Hudstone
That makes me feel better that I signed a contract to convert my boiler to gas rather than get one of the more efficient on the wall instant units. I'm converting a Beckett oil burner to a Carlin gas burner. .

Keep us updated on how that Carlin gas burner conversion works out. I'm planning on doing the same thing in the spring.

We have a Beckett oil burner and it's great, super reliable and simple to troubleshoot/repair with easily available parts. However, heating with oil is just too expensive plus the hassle of the oil tank and all.

Sure, i can let you know but the work wont be done until the spring. Paperwork is going back and forth with the utility and they have to run a new gas line to my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back