Garbage disposal gets stuck

Our garbage disposal gets stuck pretty regularly. Yes I use the tool to free it, it's an easy fix and it works fine, but only lasts a week or two, then repeat.

Is there any maintenance I can do? I can replace, but I'm frugal and don't want to throw away an otherwise perfectly good unit.

One of my apartments had a garbage disposal. To say they are unreliable is an understatement! I'm sure it was replaced more than once per year.

Clearly it’s not a “perfectly good unit” if it keeps jamming up every week. Lmao

It's just a safety mechanism. I didn't see it happen that often, but when it did I was thinking I was glad it did if something happened like a kid put a hand in there.

I have bought those keys with the handle to reset it from the opening, but I think some newer ones have a hex key fitting in the base.

Don't waste time screwing with it. They're just not worth it, and they are fairly cheap to replace. They are wet all the time internally, and when the bearings start to go, they're just not worth the time and effort to try and repair.

Besides, they don't even sell parts for most of the cheaper builder grades of these things. If you can find an identical make and model, you won't have to replace the drain portion. It should just twist right on, tighten the bolts, connect the drain, and plug it in.

Back